computeach v's SKILLStrain - help!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Steg, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Steg

Steg New Member

Hey,
    I've signed up to do a A+, N+, CCNA and CCNP course with SKILLStrain (St), but after reading the forum and thinking about the cost I'm starting to have seconds thoughts. So I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice.
    I was originally going to do a MCSA with computeach (ct), but after the salesman for St came round yesterday he talked me round (and took money) to doing the above cisco course. He said that the market for MCSA people was dying and the pay wasn't so good and he said that there's 65,000 jobs available for cisco trained people and that they can get me a job paying upto £80k when I finish the course. But I'm having doubts now. The cost is £3500 which I'm paying myself, and as I'm unemployed it's a lot. Ct also do the course, but at a lot more, but I can do each part seperatley. However, I did really want to do a MCSA (£2,500 at ct) because I've wanted to do that for years.
    So, what I want to know, which is the better course CCNA/CCNP or MCSA, is St any good, am I a complete idiot and sucker for fulling for the hard sell and are the jobs out there for these courses?
    I'm thinking of canceling the St course, and I've only 7 days to do it so quick answers please.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Steg,

The best way to find out about job demand in my opnion is to look on the job websites.

www.monster.com

www.theitjobboard.co.uk

www.reed.co.uk

www.manpower.co.uk

As for salary, well, have a look around this forum in the job section. The reality is to take a new job on you have to start at the lower end of the pay scale.

Maybe there is more demand for Cisoc certified people but the MCSA/E covers a broader range of subjects and is still saught after.

£3000 is lot of money, so if i were you i would be asking to talk to some of their current students before you sign anything.

Best of luck, let us know what you do. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The thing I'd look at wouldn't be cost or provider - it'd be what you want to do. The reality of IT is as Boyce says - I'm on the Skillstrain (Scheidegger) A+ through to CCNP course route. But I want to do things like that, and I'm quite prepared to suck eggs and take that 14/15k job at first.

But I can't see the point of embarking on what could be a life-long career in a field of IT that doesn't particularly light your fire. If you want to do the MSCA, then do it. It's a big decision, and a lot of money - and you really should do what you're interested in. It's bull about job guarantees and suchlike - it's the experience you get and the way you put yourself across at interviews that really gets you the job you want.

Good luck in whatever you decide!! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can you not take these courses seperately? I.e. A+, then if you're happy sign up for the N+, etc?

Nothing personal but I'd be spending that £3,000 on buying myself some good books, some PC's, some exam sim's and paying for the exams only.

If CCNA is waht you're after eventually have you looked into the Open University, as they run a CCNA course.

8)

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeh, a lot cheaper too!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't doubt that there are guys out there earning 80,000 p.a.
    Phoenix must be on about that much by now.

But it's not normal and it certainly isn't entry level.
    You can probably expect 15-20,000 for your first position depending on where you live.

Have you asked for it in writing?

You'll have noticed from this forum that there seems to be a fairly even mix of people who love their training providers (excluding the salesmen) and those that have come to a sticky end.

You're never going to get a straight answer, and sometimes you have to go with your instinct and make the best of it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

cANCEL IT IMMEDIATLEY.

What if you dont like IT after 3 months? You have lost all that money just do an A+ at low cost and if you dont like it you have lost £500-£1,000 depending on training provider.

I did mine with www.learnit4less.co.uk open univ ar egood too.

The sales men at computeach and scheidegger aka skillstrain and multimedia r eon 20-25% commission and will sell you anything and the most they can get away with, cancel it see you citizen advice bureau and sue them in the county court they have missrepresented the amount of cisco jobs they have not provided the source of their info

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

dude, you're a fine advert for learnit4less...
    now if I were a suspicious person I'd reckon thats exactly what you're doing...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  9. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Use some of the money you would have spent to buy your own books, your own learning resources, to build your own new PC [or buy an old one to play about with], etc, etc. and you will still have spent less money, but you will have much more to learn from. Then visit here when you need support. Self-study is the same as distance learning but costs a lot less.

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hear hear :dry

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

£3500! That is a lot of money to be shelling out pal!

As people have mentioned here I think you should do the A+ first at a learning speed that suits you, not what others tell you.

I have had no experience with these training institutes and from what I have read I have no wish to.

Also mate don't listen to the "You will get a job that pays £80,000 a year". Nobody will walk into a job like that, certs or no certs. Would you pay someone £80,000 a year who had just passed exams but had no experience?

I hope it works out for you, and good luck with what you decide but I would cancel the training course if you still can and just build from the beginning and see how you get on.

:thumbleft

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  12. JohnDoe

JohnDoe New Member

:rolleyes:
    I am just finding out that I too have been taken for an IT ride. Truth is you can learn more on your own than you can with skills train. The simple solution is for Scheidegger / Clydesdale Financial Services to have a refund policy based on the percentage of the course studied. it would be expensive to opt out but would cost less than the full amount. Scheidegger don't have an opt out policy 'cause they've got their money from the bank and they say speak to the bank and CFS don't have an opt out, they say, "speak to scheidegger" (that old loop trick cop out). BUT, there must be enough people out there learning enough IT skills to propagate the truth of this con, save others from the con, and put pressure on these companies to operate fairly. Why doesn't Ciao have system to help members get in contact directly? I too am interested in contacting people who have had this experience with a view to some collective action. My email is [email protected]

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Brian.
    We can all understand that you may be frustrated. Have a look around and you will see that you are not alone.

I'm sure the staff will be able to help you, but try not to post the same message in several places because it looks like spam.

There are loads of people here that can help you, so if you would like help or advice, please ask!

Edit: You may want to consider not posting your email address. We won't abuse it, but there are those out there who will!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD