Computeach or Self Study??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lank1984, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Lank1984

Lank1984 New Member

Hi all,

I have just recieved an information leaflet in the post on Computeach (which I requested, it wasnt junk mail!!)

Although you have to take all advertising tosh with a pinch of salt, these seem quite genuine with what they say they offer. However, anyone who has recieved the pack will know that they dont just offer you a course to buy (eg. MCSE), they send someone round to talk to you about your 'needs'.

I havent actually phoned them to arrange that yet, as I thought I'd see on here if anyone has had any experience with them, and also if anyone could offer me any advice;
    My eventual aim is to become employed in the Technical side of IT, (eg. Network Suport, Systems Technician or something similar to that), and although I've never worked in IT before, I have plenty of experience in Building and setting up Computer Systems and Networks from scratch.

I am currently self studying from the Mike Meyers books for my A+, and hopefully on passing this would like to get my Network+ and my MCSE.

Would anyone be able to advise on whether the Network+ and MCSE qualifications are things you can obtain through self study alone, or would it be best to go with a 'training provider'

I have heard a lot of horror stories about these companies ripping people off, :twisted: and am quite confused about the best route to take. :blink

oh yeah, SORRY for the length of this post, hope it doesnt drone on too much :biggrin :oops: :biggrin !!!

Thanks in advance. Lank.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Lank1984,
    Whilst I cannot offer you any information on Computeach what I can say is that it is wholly possible to gain the certs you are after through self study.
    The MCSE cert is however not an entry level cert and will probably take many years of hard study and hands on experience to gain, that said you will probably feel the benefits of doing it through self study one exam at a timerather than with a training provider. This is because although it will take longer you will retain more of the information because you should be applying it over and over again rather than once if you were in a classroom.

8)

3. Lank1984

Lank1984 New Member

yeah, i agree with you on the bit about retaining information, doing it in your own time would allow you to take in more.

also, mcse is built up of several certs isnt it? which certs would make up an MCSE? are there any which would be better to have than others?

thanks for the reply, simon

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

you are correct the MCSE is made up of seven different exams, all of which are viable on their own, but when put together make up the MCSE.

I wont say any more, but take a look at the Microsoft site for your self here

8)

5. Donnylad

Donnylad Banned

Admin Edit(J): Repeat content - removed

Certifications: A+ MCSA ITIL Prince2
    WIP: MSc in Management