comptia book?

Discussion in 'A+' started by alih786, Jan 8, 2008.

1. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

i will be studying the Comptia "A+ Certification All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies" book for the a+ exam, is that ok, is it a good book?

Heres the link about the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cer...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199812311&sr=8-1

Mod edit(Z): Removal of copyright material

Certifications: BTEC First Diploma - Cisco IT Essentials
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi first of all please dont post links to copyrighted material on this forum for download. I replaced it with an amazon link so people still know which book you talking about.

I think this is the best book for A+ :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certificati...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199812448&sr=8-1

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

the mike meyers book is great mine came today

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep The Mike Meyers book and PC Technician Street Smarts hands down.

I have never heard of the book you mentioned.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hmm, I'd definitely recommend the Mike Meyers book.

As for Street smart by James Pyles (Tripwire45), I've not read it yet so I can't comment.

Have you read it GBL? If so..... TAKE UR EXAMZ!!

Nah in all seriousness, I just wanted to know if you've read it and what you thought but I think you should take the exam asap. you're kinda waisting time and money (in theory) by not sitting it :(

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The "For Dummies" A+ book tanked in the reviews. The books the others have mentioned are generally considered good resources.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. greenbrucelee

Yep with street smarts I am on my 2nd copy due to the dog eating my first one, at the moment I am not getting the time of my work to take the exams as we have taken a new guy on and me and my manager are working split shifts, mine involve working late into the night.

Hopefully the new guy will pick things quickly as I plan to take two weeks of in March and during those two weeks I WILL BE taking both A+ exams.

Street Smarts is very different from the Mike Meyers AIO 6th edit, it is just basically a lot of excersises that you can practice to be fully confident in the real world.

Each chapter of the street smarts books is about something like Installing RAM or configuring a network connection in Windows then there will be an excersise you can practice.

Invaluable in my opinion, well worth getting even if you have done your A+ :D

8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'd also recommend the Mike Meyers book and the Street Smarts book.

9. greenbrucelee

I meant to ask Dave, why havent you done yours yet?

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Because I've been busy the past month, travelling to London through the week and back up in Scotland at the weekend, I've not got round to finishing my Mike Meyers book. I've not even got Street smarts yet.

Now with christmas out the way I intend to get it finished..

I've actually planned that I do 30mins on train in morning, 30 on way home and 30+ while in the house each day. This *should* get me through the rest pretty soon... :rolleyes:

11. greenbrucelee

In my opinion you just can't read the street smarts book, you need to actually do the exercises unless you plan to use it as a revison tool. By that I mean theres a part in the Windows chapter where it explains how to get to the advanced tab in system. So you can revise by remembering the order. eg Start > Control panel > System > advanced.

Could be a good way to learn, but doing the exercises first. :D

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I also forgot to mention that I have a 1st Line tech support job now so it's not AS important for me. I need to get some experience built up before I can consider a more technical job, this leaves me some time yet... good excuse eh? Heh heh :oops:

13. greenbrucelee

atleast your getting the real world experience I lack, once my debts are gone (4 months) I will be on the job hunting trail seriously.

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, I get what you mean. I'll see how the book is and put little postate notes in the pages if I feel there's something I should try when I get home.

So far in the Mike Meyers book there has been very few things I've needed to get "hands on" with because I've already had experience with them.

15. greenbrucelee

I actually have done very little in the way of installing hardware etc untill I got my PC last year not since about 1996 so I had a bit to catch up on, things have changed considerably since then, the same with the operating systems although I use win2k3 and xp pro everyday at work.

I have XP home at the moment but my copy of XP pro should arrive anyday now, so I want to get to grips with the stuff you can't do with home like encryption and sharing + I'll have a new PSU to install so thats good practice too.

Before I got this PC the last time I did hardware installation there was no such thing as PCIex or AGP etc, so I need to be fully confident + have the money before I do the exams.

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Anyone notice this thread has been posted in the wrong forum 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. greenbrucelee

nope, you have the eyes of an eagle 8)

18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You're quite right Wiz, thread moved to A+ forums :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong