CompTIA A+ VS BTEC National?

Discussion in 'A+' started by RichM, Feb 28, 2007.

1. RichM

RichM New Member

Hi there,

I am posting in this forum as this thread isn't specifically related to just one qualification.

Anyway, I wish to enter the IT industry as a qualified computer technician. Whilst I have a good amount of knowledge regarding computer systems, I do not have any high level qualifications to prove what I'm capable of.

I am thinking about doing either a Comptia A+ certification, or a BTEC national diploma for IT practitioners. Which qualifcation would you say is better? Are both of these qualifcations at the same level, or is one more advanced than the other? Which one is most likely to help me get a job at a large company such as PC World? (Just example)

I am 20 years old. Therefore, if I did go back to college to do a BTEC, I would have to pay due to the fact that government funding is not provided for those aged 19 or over. - So there is no advantage in doing a BTEC as far as money is concerned.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would personally go for the A+ because its recognised worldwide.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Well I did the BTEC national and to be honest it was a waste of 2 years. I wish I had started with the A+ as soon as I left school and I would of had more certs by now and proberly entered a IT entry level job. But instead I left college and through building machines and messing with networks I had enough experience to be ok with the MCSA material and so that is what I'm doing.

As Raffaz said, go with the A+ then onwards.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685