Comptia a+ vs 70-680

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by CombatRock, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

Hey, i passed 70-271 a few weeks ago but do not have time to do 272 before it retires. so i decided i fancied the comptia a+, but after seeing the price and the fact that it apparently expires every 3 years, i am thinking id be better of with the 70-680? i am wondering how hard these exams are compared to the likes of the 271 and a+?

Any help/ advice is invaluable

CR

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA SEC, INFOSEC (4011), MCP
    WIP: CCNP (R/S)
  2. monk129

monk129 New Member

Not sure about this best to check with someone else, but I think any CompTIA exam you take now is invalid in 3 years regardless, just study what you are most comfortable with

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. scottymac1979

scottymac1979 New Member

Sorry about that, didn't read your question correctly , tried to edit but couldn't, sorry

4. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Its a different operating system so you will learn different features to XP in windows 7 applocker, direct access, bitlocker etc plus different installation types such as WDS replacing RIS, much better features. you wont deal with the likes of old applications such as outlook express, 2003 office etc, only the windows 7.

you right compTIA certs do expire after 3 years which i think is ridiculous. You should have the option to upgrade to the new cert without the old one expiring.

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They are both totally different.

The A+ is a step down from the MCDST but covers hardware and basic OS usage whilst the 70-680 is a big step up from the MCDST and it covers supporting windows 7 mainly in a domain environment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

if you want to do pc repairs then the A+ is the one, but if you do newer pc support (software) then the microsoft certs are more the way to go. As for A+ comptia uk say that your A+ is lifelong.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  7. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

I thought that only held true if you had achieved your A+ before the end of last year?

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  8. greenbrucelee

The A+ now needs to be renewed every 3 years to keep the certification however I think this is a bad move for compTIA as I cant see many people renewing it unless they are in the pc repair business.

If you have the A+ and N+ you only have to renew the highest level cert to still be certified in both in this case its the N+.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

When I passed my MCDST I found the questions to be solely situation based, while I found CompTIA to also ask straightforward technical questions, "Which hard drive format would you use for data encryption and sharing security?" I don't except the 70-680 to necessarily be harder then the 271 but you still need to know the material. I don't think the certificate expiring is a big deal at all. The A+ title gets updated, and it's completely unfair for someone who passed the A+ five or ten years ago to still be able to claim themselves certified. There are other ways besides passing the re-certification test to keep your A+ valid although after a few years you might not be doing entry-level support in your job anyway.

If you passed the 271 you should be fine passing the 272, just spend a one day studying Windows Firewall, Internet Explorer security settings and Microsoft Outlook.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Comptiauk.com are, as far as I can tell, a TP with no connection to CompTIA.
    Contact details for UK branch of CompTIA:

CompTIA EMEA

5th Floor
    City Tower
    40 Basinghall Street
    London EC2V 5DE
    Tel: +44 (0) 207 330 6060
    Fax: +44 (0) 207 330 6061
    Email: [email protected]

I suggest you use them, or comptia.org website, for info on CompTIA certs

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  11. greenbrucelee

You are correct because my first ever post on here was about them as I didn't know about self study I was going to go with them.