CompTIA A+ Upgrade

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 7, 2006.

1. SpaceHamster

SpaceHamster New Member

Quick question for anyone who happens to be in the know: I currently would like to take my A+ and N+ certifications. If I was to study now and take the exam as soon as possible, would I be at a disadvantage to those waiting for the upgrade? I'm sure I can study and get the exams done before march. Thanks!

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA, MCSA
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Disadvantaged in what way? Do you mean would a prospective employer favour someone with the new version over someone with the old one? It's possible but, IMO, unlikely.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. SpaceHamster

SpaceHamster New Member

Ok, thank you - while I was less than clear with what I meant, you've still answered my question hehe.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA, MCSA
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

No problems, you were a lot clearer than a lot of the users in my company!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. mbr2

mbr2 Bit Poster

The A+ 2007 is going to be a lot more defined for the job the person taking it does.
    And most employers see it as CompTIA offering a more up to date qualification, it will still be A+ after all.

Certifications: ECDL & A+
    WIP: CCNA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not at all. If you were hiring someone, would you hire someone who could only handle the "new" stuff, or would you hire someone who could handle both "old" and "new" technology?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. cdrees

cdrees New Member

You have until June of this year to take the old exams, so time is running out. It's good however that CompTIA is keeping up with the technology, which only helps make the certification more relevant.

Doesn't do an employer much good if your an expert in Windows 95 and daisy wheel printers.. :)

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not gonna do the exam for about 6months will Trips book and Mike meyers book still be relevent resource/study material for me?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. greenbrucelee

Sorry for the un neccesary post I thought they were updating again:rolleyes:

11. fallan

fallan New Member

Hi,My son has recently passed his comptia a+(hardware/software) exam and is about to to home study for networking+.He has no experience in IT and it came as a bit of a shock to him and me that most firms want experience more than qualifications.The question I ask is how can he gain that experience unless firms give him that opportunity in the first place.:(

12. greenbrucelee

Unfortunatley he has to keep trying like me, I have been to college studying IT then University studying IT and Now I am going to do the A+ but I am fully aware that I may not get a job due to having no experience and may may have to take an entry level job that will bore me silly but it will give me experience.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Your son needs to pursue an entry-level IT job. By definition, entry-level IT jobs do NOT require experience because they are jobs in which you ENTER the field (and if they do require experience, then they cannot be an entry-level IT job). These jobs often include, but are not limited to, field service techs, PC techs, and help desk techs.

Everyone applies for jobs that are posted in newspapers and on online job search sites. There are MANY more jobs out there that are "hidden" - those that are not yet posted, or are internally posted. Other techs usually know about these positions, so if your son hasn't networked (not networking with wires, but with people) with other IT professionals, encourage him to do so. Most of my IT jobs have come about because I knew someone and they knew me and my skillset.

Best of luck to him!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. fallan

fallan New Member

Thanks BM your post was extremely helpful.My son should be home soon and I will show him your post.Thanks again. frank