Comptia a+ software and harware experience

Discussion in 'A+' started by Masato, May 20, 2013.

1. Masato

Masato Bit Poster

Passing in this certification is about read a book and answer some teoric questions like :"what this does" "how you do that" etc.

But how important is to test my knowledge in real hardware and software? i mean i can study mike meyers book from scratch but i still need to see the things happening right?

Is i go to a company and say : "i have comp tia a+ cert but all i know is the therory" that wouln´t help me very much right?

do you suggest that i should buy a cheap computer in order to test the theory tha i had learned?

Once again i´m not used to write in english so sorry about word and sentence mistakes

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

A number of first line IT roles are available that don't have hardware elements, it's more knowing the OS etc and how to do things within windows.

So I would say that you definitely should have access to a computer to practice that element, but the hardware stuff IMO is not so crucial unless you specifically want to move into a desktop technician role or something similar.

Having said that, if you don't already own a computer, then I would suggest that you buy all the components that you need, and then build it at home and get some hands on practice that way!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. Learntec Glen

Learntec Glen Bit Poster

Don't get too caught up with experience verses know how. it's important to learn the subject well, so that when you are faced with a concept question during interview you can answer. Experience will come with time but employers will give you a chance if you have good theory. In additional, by including hands on exercises when studying you will learn a degree of experience.

Certifications: A+, Sec+, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, CVE
    WIP: Server 2012
  4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

You could make contact with a local computer repair shop near by you and see if they would be interested in you volunteering with them, so yes you would not get paid, but if they are interested then it would help your studies.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

Even though the A+ has large body of theoretical knowledge which you must learn or memorise, I don't believe that studying theory alone will be enough because there is a strong emphasis on the practical application of that knowledge in real world situations. These are usually presented to you as scenarios where knowing how and why things work as they do is key to answering correctly, which I feel you'll best appreciate if you actually spend more time experimenting with real equipment and developing your problem-solving instincts.

While it's difficult to generalise about what different employers could expect, getting as much hands-on experience as possible will give you confidence, which would definitely impress in an interview. So, like others have advised, I also recommend you get cheap parts and try building up a PC, and also look for other ways to expose yourself to the devices and tools you are going to be learning about.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA