Comptia a+ Question!!

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by EmGriffiths, Feb 9, 2011.

1. EmGriffiths

EmGriffiths New Member

Hey everyone!

First of all, awesome website just what i have been looking for!!

Im think about (home) studying for the Comptia A+, i have 3 years experience as an IT Technician and was wondering if it was worth it?? or would it be better to move ahead and study for MCSA instead??

Any answers would be much appreciated :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCTS SBS 2008
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome:)

It depends on what you do in your job and what operating systems and technologies you work with. You could go for A+ and Network+ but these now expire everything three years, however if your looking to get a better job then getting those along with an MCP or two or even an MCTS would make you look more attractive to an employer.

If you work with XP I would suggest trying to knockout the MCDST before it retires in June which should be possible with your experience, I had none when I did my MCDST and it took 2.5 months or if you work with Vista or Windows 7 you could do the MCTS exams relating to them.

Give us a better picture on what you do then we could advise better.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. EmGriffiths

EmGriffiths New Member

Hey!

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I work for a small General out in the field (home and business user base) It company, so i am really supporting users from xp to 7 and also some server work for small businesses.

Other than a Cisco night course in administration and a couple of NVQ's i dont really have any formal IT qualifications! So i figure getting a Comptia out the way would be mainly for my CV and to clear any holes in my knowledge!

What happens after the 3 years?? do you have to re sit the exam and pay the fees again?!

Thanks again,

Em

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCTS SBS 2008
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you have re-do the exams and pay the fees but only for the highest compTIA cert you have, so for example if you had the A+ and N+ you would have to re-do the N+ and pay the fee and you would still be A+ certified. If I were you I would be going for the MCDST and the MCTS in Vista and Windows 7 which would get you MCITP status then after that go for the MCSA.

With your experience I reckon you should be able to knock out the MCDST by June and you should have too much bother with the MCTS exams.

Generally once people move onto Microsoft certs they dont go back to compTIA and since compTIA introduced the 3 year expiring thing I reckon lots of people wont bother renewing if taking those exams at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

As above.

I had no intention of going back to study XP, but considering it's still number 1 in the home/business/enterprise environments (and given the economic climate I imagine it will be for some time) I am going to rush through 70-270.

Armed with my £1.50 second hand study guide, nothing can hold me back...