Comptia A+ - Networking - Command Prompt

Discussion in 'Network+' started by antonethebone, May 13, 2014.

1. antonethebone

antonethebone New Member

Hi. I am studying IT networking and am currently doing an assignment in the networking section on command prompts. One of the questions I have is: "change IP address of your PC and then change it to default". I know how to change the IP address in command prompt (ipconfig/release/renew), but how do I then change it to the default via command prompt. Any suggestions? I am currently running Microsoft Windows XP

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

using release/renew on ipconfig isn't necessarily changing the IP address. Dependant upon what sort of DHCP you have running, it may bring the same IP back down.

to change ip via command line you'll want to use netsh i believe.

example:

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 10.0.0.9 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1 1

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. antonethebone

antonethebone New Member

I have a dynamic IP address, as I checked that yesterday for another assignment. I did also change it and it did come back with the same address (perhaps because I changed it immediately without waiting a few minutes). The funny thing was that my IP address was the same address as the default gateway.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

IP shouldn't be the same as the default gateway... is the machine acting as a domain controller too?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As mentioned ipconfig/release/renew is renewing a DHCP lease. Its quite common for the same lease to just be extended in which case your IP address will stay the same.

Apexes answer is how to assign a static IP which is probably what the question is hinting at. 'default' in the question probably means the DHCP allocated IP. So I expect it means 'assign a static IP and the reset to dynamic IP'.

Your default gateway is most commonly the local router/switch of your network segment, it should not be your IP address. In class C networks there is normally a difference in the last octet.

Last edited: May 13, 2014