CompTIA A+ Lab Requirements

Discussion in 'A+' started by Londino, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

Hello to the ever so helpful community.

After reading zimbo's 'guide to self study' post i felt motivated and decided that it was about time i started studying for the A+ cert.

I noticed that apart from the textbooks i would also need a 'spare' pc to practice upon. I already have spare parts which, if put together, make up for a decent pc capable of running win xp so all i was missing were the books.

However, when i went to amazon.co.uk to purchase Mike Myer's All in One book i watched the video clip where he was demonstrating SCSI drives. Now, pardon me if I'm wrong, but i believe that SCSI drives are not your average Joe's piece of hardware. This 'discovery' prompted me to go through the index where i saw that the curriculum covers printers as well. Now, even though printers ARE a common piece of peripheral i don't think that they are a requirement in order to run xp.

My question is this: will i actually need to purchase scsi drives, controllers & printers in order to self-study for the A+ and successfully pass the exam? If yes, is there anything else i need to own for my 'A+ pc lab' that is not considered a 'minimum win xp requirement' ? I hope my question makes sense :rolleyes:

I'd appreciate if someone would clarify this for me as it's something that's been bugging me for quite some time now.

Cheers.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

NO you don't need scsi drives, just know what they are and how they work.

I got a PC for my A+ it running the bare minimum specs for windows xp.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I agree with GBL. You just need to know about SCSI. You don't *need* to buy such kit, as it isn't really core to current domestic PCs.

That said - you would be surprised at the amount of SCSI kit washing around the second-hand market!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said, no need to buy but you need to know how SCSI works. You generally don’t come across SCSI devices in desktop PCs but you will when you are working on a server. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

OK. That's fair enough guys. Thanks for the input ;)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I used an old laptop to dual boot Win98SE & Win2k and ran Win95 through VMWare on my home PC.
    But i was told the new A+ (2007) does not require Win 95 or even DOS!!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  7. SteveCac

SteveCac New Member

I've only just started this book, but do have SCSI drives in my PC, but they were very easy to install and set-up, the book will be enough.