CompTIA A+ Certification (Exams 220-701 & 220-702)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question if you don't mind.

Ive just purchased the:

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (Comptia A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, (Exams 220-) by Michael Meyers.

Now it seems that this book covers both exams. Am I required to pay for each exam separately (via Prometric) or is it a two part exam?

Many Thanks,

Ron

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

You pay for each seperately, you can get vouchers which reduce the cost of the exams from Gracetech make sure you get the right voucher for your geographical location.

and good luck with the studies! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You pay seperately but there is nothing to stop you doing both on the same day if you want, I did.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Jaron78

Cool, many thanks guys.
    I have no IT Qualifications, so assume A+ is the best place to start?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Jaron78

Hi Guys,

Amazon have totally screwed up and sent the me the Sixth edition (220-602, 603, 604) study guide, which I assume is now Outdated.

Is this correct? I ordered the Seventh edition so I can expect a refund but still a bit annoying!!

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

No you can still do those exams as far as I'm aware.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. BosonMichael

For a short time. You'd have to start studying without delay!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Jaron78

When will the Seventh edition kick in?

I have just ordered the Seventh edition off Amazon and will send Sixth back.
    Slightly confused as when I went to check the exam via Prometric, it states Exams 220-701 & 220-702.

Cheers

10. BosonMichael

Both versions are currently available simultaneously. The old version will become unavailable in the UK as of August 31st, I believe (someone please correct me if I am mistaken).

11. Jaron78

Many thanks Michael, so its OK to still go with the Seventh edition?

Regards,

Ron

12. BosonMichael

Most certainly. The Seventh edition covers the newer version of the exam which should be good for another two or three years.

13. Jaron78

Many Thanks, much appreciated.
    I'm also going to start apply for some 1st Line Support Helpdesk jobs. Mainly just contract work to get the experience.

14. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

I am planning to study for my CompTia A+ Essentials exam in a few months. I am doing it as a home study course, has anyone done this course before and how did you feel when studying towards it. Did you find it easy & hard, how long did it take you to pass?

Any feedback would be appreciated and if possible what training materials would be appropriate!

Kind Regards. :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  15. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

what does the 220-701/2 books cover that the 220-601/2 books dont? obviously vista but is there much else?

you see i have been studying for the 220-601 exam and am about ready to take it, but i dont wanna pay for it only to pay for the 7th edition in a few months or so. if im already pretty clued up on the 6th edition, will i expect to find a lot more in the 7th edition books?

WIP: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
  16. dadzaglo

dadzaglo New Member

I recently took the Comptia A+ 2009 exam and passed:D. I had a similar problem to what you have because I started studying for the 2006 exam, half way through i was told of the introduction of the 2009 exam.

Any way you do not have to worry a lot about having to renew your certification even if you take the 2006 exam. This is because Comptia has change their policy: as long as you pass either the 2006 or the 2009 before December 31, 2010 YOU ARE CERTIFIED FOR LIFE. You can find the info in the link below

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx:)

So relax and prepare for which ever one you want to sit. Just make sure you sit and pass before the end of the year and you will have nothing to worry about.8)

Certifications: Comptia N+, Comptia A+
    WIP: ccna
  17. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

In all honest which version of the exams you pass is really unimportant, apart from anything else plenty of offices will be clinging on to their XP desktops for a while yet.

So, take the 600 series exams get the A+ and move on. Don't worry about updating it in a few months.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the 600 series exams retire on august 31st and the 700 series will become mainstream after that.

You do not have to upgrade to the 700 series if you do not want to however compTIA will automatically put you down as doing so on your compTIA certification page but you will still be A+ certified and have all the certificates and wallet cards etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

how do I get vouchers for Comptia A+for UK only.
    This link (qouted above) only has vouchers for USA and Canada.

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That is the correct page. You just need the 2 top links in the International Test Voucher bundles section of that page.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009