Comptia A+ Benefits?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Nice_One, May 6, 2004.

1. Nice_One

Nice_One New Member

Newbie here at the forums, and getting ready to take my Comptia A+ certification exams. I was just wondering if anyone here who is already certified could enlighten me on what benefits they have received by becoming certified.

That is, have you found that it has made you more marketable within your chosen field, or have you seen financial/salary gains as a result of becoming certified? Have you been hired ahead of others due to the fact that you are certified?

Just wondering what options might be available after I become certified.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Of the three certs I currently possess, I have to say that the A+ has probably gotten me the most jobs. Granted, they aren't extremely high paying or prestigious jobs, but they helped me gain experience and get my foot in the door for more long term gigs.

An A+ tech does a lot of Ethernet rollouts, hardware upgrades and OS installs. You also get asked to fix home computer problems by your friends and relatives a lot. Most people make a certain set of assumptions about someone with an A+ that they wouldn't necessarily make of someone with an MCSE or CCIE. Go for it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Nice One,

Agreed with Trip. Also, I used the A+ logo on my CV, which I think some (not necessarily all) employers like.

A+ does show a basic foundation of knowledge of the working PC, and the beginnings of networking, and OS support.

If I were to offer one piece of advice on A+ - do NOT skimp on the DOS/Command Prompt stuff "just cos DOS ain't around anymore". Man that stuff is alive and well, and you will deff need to use it at least at some point, if not plenty.

Hope that helps you for now.
    :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just to punctuate what Gav said about XP and the CLI, there were a lot of new command line utilties released. I can't find most of them in my quickie search (but I have them documented at home) but here's a link to three of them just to give you a flavor.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

My experiance seems to be the opposite of the other guys
    I got my NT 4 MCSE about the same time as my A+ and to be honest the MCSE thing seems to of held more ground, unlike trips experiance people DO seem to assume i know hardware/software stuff because im an MCSE, just to show you that results can vary widely :) at the end of the day if its your first cert, it should help, its not likley to increase your salary much if your already in IT, as its considered a basic entry point

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

The A+ is a great foundation for everything else. 8)