Component Level Motherboard Repair (Not replacement)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hans.andrei, Aug 12, 2011.

1. hans.andrei

hans.andrei Bit Poster

I've been fixing computers for a while and more and more recently, I've been seeing ads from people claiming to do component level motherboard repair and not just DC jacks.
    This is something I really want to learn about because sometimes a replacement motherboard is rare or too expensive to fix. Some questions I have:

1) How do you diagnose the exact component failure?
    Obviously, a burn mark is a dead give away, but what if there are no visual signs? Do you poke around with a multi-meter? With what voltage settings and how do you know what to look for?

2) Is it usually a bad capacitor?
    badcaps seems to think so. What about a bad connection?

3) How do you perform the component level repair?
    So you've found the bad capacitor or component, can you really solder a new one on without hurting the components around them?

Thanks
    Andrei

WIP: Comp Tia A+ exam 220-701 + 220-702
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally we (and I) at work don't do component level motherboard repair as that tends to leans more to the electronic engineering side of IT.

To diagnose a faulty motherboard, at my last place we used this (well the previous version about 7 years ago).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Leaking caps are good ones to start out with, easy to spot and you dont need a steady hand to swap them out. A book such as Starting Electronics: Amazon.co.uk: Keith Brindley: Books may help along the way.

A multimeter is a must as well as you can check the tracks to make sure voltage is being passed from one end to another. The most common fault I used to fix though was leaky capacitors Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or stuff that was obviously broken as you say burn marks. However things bits that are visually defective are not always the defective part as something a bit further back may be pushing to much to little voltage making sonething else fry.

TBH its been a few years since I did any real electronics and these days if its not faulty caps you will probably spend more money in man hours repairing a board than you would do buying a new one.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing