Complete career change

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by swead, Feb 3, 2007.

1. swead

swead New Member

I have no IT qualifications and my only experience is using a computer for data entry etc over the last 16 years.

However, I have decided I want to work in IT - not sure in what yet.

I have been speaking to a number of distance learning companies regarding the qualifications available and have been reading a number of posts on this forum for advice.

What I need to know is, for a total beginner is this the best way to start eg A+. N+ MCSA, MCSE etc or should I be looking elsewhere?

Any advice given would be very appreciated as I'm totally confused at the moment.

S.

Certifications: None
    WIP: None
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think you want to decide what area of IT you are interested in and base your certs around that. For example are you interested in network support or web design, there are plenty of options :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Viking

Viking New Member

I am taking a distance learning course with Computeach. I started with IT Fundamentals, then A+, now I am doing MCSE. It will take less than 3 years (A+ took 4 months). The cost is high but you get a lot for you money. I paid about £ 5000.00 for my courses. For what I’m getting I believe this to be realistic, bearing in mind that this includes study materials, tutor support for three years, exam fees, classroom training before the exams and a web site where other student are posting their study queries, so helping me with mine. Then a life service from Computeach Recuitment Department.

Before you decide to train in IT consider the following,
    1/Learn from home on distance learnng verses finding a colledge with classroom teaching.
    2/How much time can you allow for studying.
    3/What do you want to be doing (Detail) when you qraduate.
    4/ Your budget. (learning costs)

Good luck with your decision.
    Viking

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. swead

swead New Member

Thankyou for your replies

After a lot of consideration and some fairly straight forward answers on another post, I've decided that I'm going to try the self study route on the A+ first to make sure its the path I want to take. I'm looking into what books are the best to buy, I have seen that the Mike Meyer's A+ All in one guide is getting a big thumbs up and have managed to find it on PC World books for just under £28, but are there any others which would be useful.

Thanks again for all your help

Suzanne

Certifications: None
    WIP: None