Complete beginner in need of advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by barryj12, Feb 25, 2009.

1. barryj12

barryj12 Bit Poster

Hey Guys, im a complete newbie and would love to pass the A+ exams in the hope that it can be a good foundation to begin building a career as an IT technician. To be honest I've never worked with the components inside a computer and only have a very brief knowledge of the hardware and what is going on in there. I know windows xp pretty well though. I can't attend a class because there are none in northern ireland (where i live) and i have 2 babies so cant leave the country.

What are my options? Can I self study for this? is there any point in a home learning course because there does seem to be a lot of videos, practice exams etc on the internet.

I intend to buy all the seperate parts and build my own pc and i have purchased the mike meyers AIO because i read on here that its a great book to help you learn more and to pass the A+. Should be her in the next day or so.

Im a music producer and have loads of spare time as i have made enough material to keep me going for ages and only work in the studio at the weekend.

So taking my circumstances into consideration, do you think its possible for me to pass these 2 exams? Do you have any advice you can give me regarding some sort of a study routine/structure?

Thanks

Barry :)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: deciding my next move
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can self study any IT certification aslong as you have the motivation to do so.

If you are buying parts to build your own pc then this will also help with the study. Can I also recommend that you purchase PC Technician streets smarts a real world guide to A+ certification by James Pyles? This will help with building the pc. It's a a book with practice exercises in it that are relate to the A+ and what a Tech with the A+ cert might do in their job.

You need to pass two exams 220-601 Essentials is mandatory and then you choose one out of three others, most people choose 220-602 IT Technician.

The exams cost 110+vat each and you book them through pearsonvues website. However you can buy two international vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com which knocks the price down to £107 each with no VAT to pay, you just use the voucher codes instead of your debit card.

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. barryj12

barryj12 Bit Poster

thanks greenburcelee for the reply, I am 100% motivated and cant wait to get started, i will definately get the james pyles book to help me get some hands on experience, thanks again i really appreciate it and now have more motivation knowing that this is possible for me. :D

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: deciding my next move