Compentency based questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Elliot28, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I will hopefully be having an interview for a promotion at work, I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on compentency based questions.

I know how you must structure the answer regarding S.T.A.R.R but I'm struggling with a few possible questions.

If it was something like tell me a time you have taken personal responsibility over an issue?
    What would you reply?

I would be grateful for all you help.

Elliot

Please not this was written off my iPad so there maybe possible spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. :)

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whats STARR?

jk2447 likes this.
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Didn't he eat a hamster?!

Oh I know its on of those fluffy HR course things that companies like sending people too
    Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

You have not really said what your are doing at the moment but those sort of questions can be answered in many ways, if you work on helpdesk think of a call where you had an irate customer, perhaps your couldn't fix it and passed the call on but made sure that the call was completed and then informed the user when it was done. Perhaps you had to chase second line or similar in the process.

It is really pot luck as to what questions that get in the interview, but try to think of a good answer to questions you do not know, something like "I do not know the answer, but I would ask my collegues for help and if they did not know I would research it myself to find the answer". Interviews are generally as much about finding out how you handle unknown situations and how you handle questions you do not know the answer to as they are finding out what you do know.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Thanks very much Dales

Currently I work in desktop support

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
    Elliot

5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive had more than a few competency questions chucked at me and they usually have an expectation of applying the STAR approach to the answer. Usually they go like this

Give me a situation where you have helped a customer

Answer with applying the STAR method

S for Situation
    Customer had bought a naughty mag and wanted help to try and hide the mag from his wife

T for Task
    In order to address the customer's issue, I realised I would have to provide a solution which would not look suspicious and save any embarresment for the customer.

A for Action.
    I asked customer if he had any other hobbies, and upon replying he had an interest in stamp collecting. I suggested he buy a stamp collecting magazine and hide the naught mag inside this.

R for Result

Customer bought the stamp collecting Magazine, hid the naughty magazine inside and was happy with the solution. The solution provided good customer service and also provided an additional sale for the company.

Taa Daa:)

That's pretty much it. The STAR method can seem a bit naff at first, but to be honest if you get the method in your head, you can usually break down your answers and conquer any unsuspecting questions........

Also try the link below, it has guidance on questions and whats being looked for in the answers according to the industry your applying in

Competency-based Questions

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290