Companies and health

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Nov 25, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok peolpe this is getting to me now so here goes

even though i dont want this to happen , im going too have to face the fact ill be on dialysis pretty soon. Now currently i behind in uni work as a resullt of this but when i get back into my stride ill be flying and hopefully ill get a good egree

Whats worrying me is the fact ill have to disclose my condition to my employers, and with normally ticking the box that says im fit as a fiddle ill have to inform them them im on dialysis etc.

Truthfully, what are companies like these days, i know there are acts in place to stop discrimination, but i also know what companies/people can be like, they find certain loopholes to get out of employing you , no matter how good you are???

Am i right in thinking this

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

First thing I'd say is don't worry about it.

I was in your same position. While working for a government agency I became quite ill (lost 7 stone in 2/3 months), stomache pain etc etc etc. When working for the DWP the people I worked with, managers were absolutely great.

Fast forward 4-5 years, I still have to have blood tests and attend hospital for examinations every three months.

When I applied for my last job 6 months ago, it was via a CV and not an application form so I was worried about when I needed to disclose that I have a disability and need time off work for appointments. Did I mention it at the interview? Nope, because it wasn't asked about. Did I mention it when they offered me the job? Nope. I brought it up when my first appointment came up while I was working there. Why did I do this? To be honest, In a previous job I worked with employers, trying to fill jobs, and you do see some employers who do see disabilities and illnesses as an immediate black mark against you. I know for a fact that If i had have mentioned my illness, I would not have got the job, as afterwards my manager told me exactly how close the decision was, and I just know that 'little' thing would have pushed me out of the game.

Will the dialisis have to be done during working hours, and very often?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well because of where i live at the mo, its getting done 4 times a day, but when i find a new pad etc i can go on the overnight treatment, which is better for me all round.

Ill sdtill haverr to do the blood test thing as well, but nothing major.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I know some employers could hold it against you (though they're not supposed to). But if you can do the job, and if you can be available for the hours I need you (with exceptions for normal checkups), then that's all I'd be concerned with, as an employer. If you're going to be doing overnight treatments, I'm not sure why it'd be a major issue to an employer. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with BM.

If you were in Hospital whilst linked up to the dyalasis machine, would there not be away you could do work from your bedside as with a remote link through a laptop. Obviousley I don't know what you do so this may not be possible.

A friend of mine has Kidney Dyalasis although he is a reporter and types his work up when in the hospital and sends the work through using goto MY PC.

But an employer shouldn't hold it against you.

Another guy who worked at my place, was the top man in IT under the IT director he was actually head hunted from a bank and the company knew full well that he had been given less than a year to live due to a hole in the heart and internal bleeding.

But they gave him the job so don't give up hope, you can do it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?