Commuting for the right role.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. pmidds

pmidds Bit Poster

I once had a commute of roughly 25 miles each way. Before I got a car I had - 10 minutes lift in car to station, 20 minutes on the train, 20 minutes on the metro, 15 minutes on the bus and then 5 minute walk to the office. When coupled with hanging around waiting for transport this could easily be between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Wasn't so bad as I needed the job and it gave me a chance to read a lot. When I started doing the commute in the car I knocked the travel time down by half. But most of the journey was spent sat in traffic looking at the Metro Centre (I must have spent a fortune in cigarettes!). After a few weeks I went back to public transport.

Certifications: MCP 70-210; 70-290; ITIL Foundation v.3
    WIP: MCSE? or CCNA?
  2. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

My commute is a 10min drive or a 12min cycle.

I think I'd consider up to 80mins commute for the perfect job, anything beyond that on a 5 day week would be too much for me, you work to live not live to work! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Currently in my role I travel on the tube 60 - 90 mins per way.
    On the road it's one hour away at 21 miles

I really don't like it, and wouldn't do it again unless I get a good job. Max time has to be 60 mins per way otherwise you'll just have no time for anyone and when you do, you'll be too tired to enjoy it properly.

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Public transport gives me nightmares!

I had use the bus service for 3 years to get to college.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I used to drive in to Paris each day. It took me one and a quarter hours normally one way- nose to tail traffic, every morning without exception. 12 miles in total. Funny thing was that the train/tram etc took as long! I prefered being in my car as I had my own space. However, when the traffic was really bad it took twice as long. To be honest it's not the greatest thing, and sometimes I used to get to work knackered because of the commute in the morning. However, like all things I got used to it.

All I'd say is, watch how tired you are getting because of the journey to work. I almost burnt myself out doing crazy hours and long commutes. Most people here seam to take an hour to get in and out of work. I know sometimes with IT though you can get stuck at work for what ever reason, so make sure you have an option of taking a late train back if necessary or does the company have parking available as an option if you need to take the car.

However, one thing to point out, does your work place allow you to work from home every now and again, in the morning etc. Are they flexible about the hours you can work, i.e get up early and beat the traffic. And for me the last question I asked myself, is the extra money worth the extra travel in terms of time, my health and well being and my life outside work.

Today I work 10 minutes from home and I actually feel guilty (silly sod) as I pass over the motorway bridge seeing all those people stuck in traffic like I used to be. You would have to pay me at least 20K more just to get back on that road again in the morning. (unless I had no option!)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  6. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

That's exacly my life at present. I presume by "areas" you mean technology areas and not geographical localities.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Takes me 7 mins to get to work :D

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Takes me 10 minutes now, too - this thread is two years old ;)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Yup areas of work/industry rather than geographical places ;)

However since that (post blimey 2 years ago) I've moved jobs so my time away from home has reduced.

Still 150 miles away (although now go 'across' instead of 'up' :p), and this time only 2 nights a week away so 3 days a week in the office the rest at home.

But if I had not have done that original job 2 years ago I wouldn't be in this job which for a whole number of reasons is far better, work wise and personal :) :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013