communicate different network without router

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by ashukh1986, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ashukh1986

ashukh1986 New Member

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,

we have one Wireless NetGear and its Setup like:-

It's one Interface [Internet Interface Port], we have given one IP 192.168.0.188 which hasfull Rights to Access Internet and its second Interface [LAN Interface], we have gien 192.168.1.1 range IP. Now whenever any Laptop connected with this Wireless, Laptop will pool 192.168.1.X series IP from Wireless and able to Access Internet. Now the thing is that, our Local LAN having 192.168.0.x Series IP Address and the local LAN Unable to ping / communicate with Wireless Network (192.168.1.x). So, kindly suggest for this.

we are using non-manageable D-Link Switch and ISA 2004 as firewall.

Please suggest :D.

Regards
    Ashu khan
    Network Admin
    Daffodil Software Ltd.
    [email protected]

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome, please introduce yourself here and be a part of this community.

As a Network Admin (as part of your sig) shouldn't you know multiple ways (or at least 1 way) around this?

Now do you need 2 IP ranges or will one do?
    If one will do, how about changing the IP address range of whichever one is easier to change?
    If 2 is needed, how about setting up a machine as a router. Or even mutihome the network adapter so that it sees both IP ranges...

Just a few starting point...

-Ken

p.s. I would remove your e-mail address.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ashukh1986

ashukh1986 New Member

Thanks for your Response.

I need to communicate both of them wheather we should have one IP range or both IP range.

I tried to change the IP range from Wireless but wireless two different port was not communicating each other after this changing.

What i have done, i am just explaining in Brief:-

I have NetGear Wireless Device.

It's on External Port, i have given: 192.168.0.188
    It's on Internal Port, i have given: 192.168.1.1
    and DHCP Range is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.50

Now whenever any Laptop connected with this wireless, it can access Internet. and Laptop IP Address will become like this:-

Laptop IP Address after connecting with Wireless

IP Address : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS : 202.56.215.x
    Alt. DNS : 202.56.215.x

Now, from Laptop i can ping its External IP which is 192.168.0.188 and all traffic goes through this IP. Laptops can also communicate with Local Network IP 192.168.0.x range.

But the things is that Local Network is unable to ping / communicate to Laptop Users. Even ISA also show only Wireless External IP 192.168.0.188 for any Web Access.

So, i just want to communicate this with Each Other. Wheather it remains same or come on same IP Range.

I have tried to change Wireless Internal IP range which was 192.168.1.1 and changed with 192.168.0.x but after done this, Laptops are unable to ping local Network and unable to ping Wireless External IP 192.168.0.188.

So kindly suggest for this.

Regards
    Ashu Khan
    Network Administrator
    Daffodil Software Ltd.

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Im trying to figure out what is actually going on here so my wireless device I assume you mean wireless access point which I suppose is just connected to a dumb switch and if DHCP for wireless devices is handled by the access point then I'm assuming that ISA will only be seeing the wireless device because the switch is presented with the Access point Ip address.

Also if you have 2 subnets and only the use of external DNS servers then if you use names to connect to devices on other subnets then this will fail even if the broadcast found the name it would not know how to route to it. Trying to get to IP's on different subnets without a router or suitable device will fail full stop.

It would be much quicker and cheaper in the long run to splash some cash on a basic router if your purse strings are a bit short. Investing in your infrastructure is never a bad thing.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Another idea and I am assuming you are running a windows server machine to run ISA server on, might be to set up RRAS server to act as a router for your internal network (server needs at least 2 network cards) and give that an address on both networks set up the appropriate routing protocol and your away (unless the ISA server is blocking the relevant traffic).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal