Common lv1 tech support calls

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Deano, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Hey there,

I've been applying for jobs in tech support in my local area.

Alot of them state "good knowledge in Win XP/server2003/[insert application here]... Etc" however not knowing the general job I'm not sure if I'm under qualified/experienced.

So I'd like to know what a few generic helpdesk calls would be that crop up often, just to see if it's stuff I know... :)

Cheers,

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+ then N+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

im afraid you are asking for the length of twisted cotton fibre. The "common" questions depend on the company.

However, I suppose one of the single most common requests is going to be for a password reset. another would likely be the infamous "my pc is slow". and one more, "my outlook wont send emails".

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

1. Caller "My computer doesn't work" - Tech "have you turned it on?" caller puts phone down or say's "oh I thought it was on."

2. Caller "I forgot my password" - Tech resets and issues new password.

3. Caller "I can't access my doucment I did last night" - Tech "Did you save it your staff folder or somewhere else? Caller "I saved it to this part of the network". - Tech "Unfortunately you do not have permission to access that part of the network, did you not see the message come up saying access denied? Caller "yes but I thought it was a glitch and just pressed cancel, where is my document? - Tech "What document?" :)

4. Supervisor "give this user permission to be able to read, write and execute" Tech use AD to access user and set permissions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It really does depend on what your company requires for it's service desk staff, where I am at the moment (NHS Trust), the call logger does just that, she was only recently given rights to reset passwords (and that was done wrongly, one of the other junior techs gave her domain admin rights, naturally the Infrastructure Manager threw a wobbly over that).

Other calls you are likely to get would be printer issues, office applications, bespoke applications, internet queries and the like.

Ideally it sounds like you need to start out as a call logger, move into 1st line support, onto 2nd line and then into 3rd line.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Thanks all, I knew resetting passwords would be high on the list. i thought it was just trivial diagnostics. Cheers for the advice too SimonD, im currently in the process of applying for 1st line at the NHS. Ill see how it goes and keep you all posted.

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+ then N+