Command lines.

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Big_nath, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I'm currently studying for the 290 exam. I am having trouble remembering all the different command lines. Does anyone have any tips or addition resource to help me?

Thanks

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Having not done the 290 myself (I'm studying for the 271 as I type this I have the book open and notes in front of me :p) I don't know specifically what you need assistance with.

I'm assuming command line actions such as:-

ren, xcopy etc?

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

commands like dsadd, dsget, dsmod etc. trying to remember them all and what they do, plus any switches. I find it tough to remember them all.:eek:

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

My advice would be to use them a few times.

So create an OU, then add some users to it, then move them to a different OU etc. This will reinforce your learning.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Cool thanks, i tried a coupleof time but i'll keep trying it will sink in eventually i guess.

6. Qs

For me the switches generally stick *shrugs*. Just use the commands a lot and as craigie says, you'll get em :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Cheers guys! I'll stick at it. lol. I'm setting up 2k3 on virtual pc now, so i'll be able to practice more.:blink

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Using them, particularly in real-world situations, is the best way to learn them and remember them. That's why it is recommended to do the MCSA after you've got 6 months experience with server administration... not because you can't pass the test without it, but because you'll be better able to understand what you're studying. :)

Not saying you don't have that experience... I'm just saying that using those commands is what makes it easy to remember them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the advice, i agree 110% with your comments about experience. But unfortunatly i enrolled for an MCSE home study course. I was told by the sales person it was not too difficult and experience isn't really necessary. It is now apparent it is hard and you do need experience, I was obviously too trusting. Think the salesman would tell the truth but i learnt my lesson. I had only been in IT a couple of months when i enrolled. Now i'm kind of stuck because i have paid the cash for the whole course. :eek:

10. Qs

Ouch. :( Is there no way you can claim it back and come off of the course? Shame you didn't find Cert Forums before handing over the cash...

Qs

11. BosonMichael

Why would the salesman want to tell the truth? They're trying to sell a product to as many people as possible. And once he/she's got your money, they've got all they need from you. Sad, but true.

Wish there was some way we could help, Nath... unfortunately, it's likely to get worse before it gets better. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Well, i tried but i was unsucessful! They originally said i had to have completed the course in 18 months! lol. But they said "as i appear to be struggling", i can take longer. They claim that most of their students pass within 12-18 months and have little or no experience. I think this is total BS, but hey! I am trying hard and trying to get a new job that will give me more server side experience.

13. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Indeed, i am trying to make the best of a bad situation. I know it will be a hard slog and it isn't the best way to do it. I got one exam done, at first i thought even the 270 was too difficult. But after alot of hard work i did it. I just worry, as i have read alot of threads that say too many certs and not enough experience make it had to find the jobs. I have been in current jb for a year so and now i am trying to find a job with a bit more server side work. hopefully one will come along soon!

14. BosonMichael

It can... but all you'd have to do is hide your certifications for jobs where you think they might be more of a hindrance than a help. :)

15. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Ah, i like your thinking!

Thanks very much.

16. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Something I use to remember things like that...

I make a kind-of quick reference card with each item (command in your case) on a different line with a brief explanation (in my own words) of what is does. Then every now and again ill read through the item list and try to remember what the explanation is before i read it. Ill also do the same backwards and read the explanation and try to remember the name of the item.

Hope this helps :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  17. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I'll give it a try, thanks pal!:D