Clean Air?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by AJ, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I know :twisted:

I enjoyed it whilst it lasted, you make your point very well!
    And thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant a bit :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

... umm, should i mention that im going for a fag now? :oops:

3. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

I read an article (last year I think) that stated it costs the government far more (sorry I can't remember the figure) for treating smoking related diseases by the NHS compared to the money it makes from the taxes on cigarettes.
    (It also took into account the pension payments it saves when a smoker dies before pension age.)
    So for them from a purely monetry value its cheaper if people stop smoking ( or at least don't get sick and use the NHS )

4. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I can understand where your coming from, but i'm 39 and have never been in hospital with a smoking related illness, so i'm affraid
    that comment is unreasonable. I've had 2 hernia opps the last 2 years, but they aren't smoking related. (But I've pre paid my bill
    before I went in there !!!)

So if we say for example 50 people a day, go to hospital due to smoking illness, what about the 5000 a day with DIY related
    accidents? Do we ban DIY ( personally yes lol)

Ever one seems to be missing the points I made, Yes you have a right not to breathe my smoke, but I also have a right to smoke
    in a pub that allows it, the same as its your choice to go in there.

If your that set against smoking, don't go into a pub where you
    can smoke then complain about the smell????

Same as don't step out in front of a car, then complain that uv
    been knocked over!!!

Anywazzz, I'm off for a fag.

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't think you can compare people having accidents when working on their house etc.. to people who deliberatley do something that is known and proven to cause serious and fatal illnesses. I'd be very interested also to here were your figures come from about A&E walk in's as compared to people being admitted long term for chronic illnesses such as Bronchitis, Emphasema, Lung cancer etc... Which do you suppose is more of a drain?

Also, one is an accident, something done unitentionally, one isn't. One may account for what, I'm grasping at straws here, maybe less than 10* deaths a year (I doubt even that many) and one is responsible for over 100,000 deaths per year. I'll let you decide which is which. :)

*you may find the statistic related to DIY deaths per year, here. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

Regarding my last post about an article stating that it causes the government more money treating smoking related diseases in the NHS than it receives in tax on tobacco. I just found this on a medical website (and also mentioned on the BBC website )

"The Government earned £9.6bn in tax revenue on tobacco in 2000. The cost to the NHS of smoking-related disease was £1.5bn and the amount spent on helping smokers to quit was £138m."

Although the article was from 2000, I can't see the figures to have swung the other direction in such a relatively short period of time.

Just showing the other (or both) sides of the argument.

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

but does the £138bn :ohmy include advertisements like billposters, newspaper ads, tv ads, flyers etc?, but saying that, that is a lot of money eben if it did include all of the advertisements...

8. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

It was only £138m not £138bn. Well I say 'only' but its still a lot of money. No idea if that included all the thinks you mentioned.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I read that as "and the amount spent on anti-smoking propaganda was £138m". They could save that money quite easily but stopping the brainwashing.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)