Claim to Fame

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Nelix, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

This is kind of a spin off to Nigels thread in the new members forum.

Whats your claim to fame???

Mine is that I once made Robbie Williams a cup of coffee (might have been tea, I cant remember) with sour milk. :oops:

I didn't know that the milk was sour until robbie tasted it and told me, so I hot footed it over to the nearest newsagents and got a fresh bottle.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I failed to recognise George Michael once. He was leaving a message for someone and I wrote down the message and said "and you are Mr ?" he simply said "Mr Michael".

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I delivered post to Tina Turner, Dieter Meier (Yello) and Moritz Leuenberger (Bundesrat).

Also got pushed away (roughly) by Bill Clinton's bodyguards while trying to deliver my post :cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I was 19 years old, I lived in Las Vegas and worked as a delivery person for a high end clothing store on the Las Vegas strip. Saw such people in the store as Don Rickles, Cher, Sonny Bono (with a very tall blonde lady who towered over him), Jan Murray, Ann Margaret and the like. Delivered out to Wayne Newton's ranch on a semi-regular basis. At the time, he was married to a very polite and charming Japanese woman. Must have been a counterpoint to his pretty rude attitude.

In 1985, my wife and I travelled around Europe with a Catholic Choir group. We are neither Catholic nor singers but my wife knew one of the guys and they had extra tickets on their tour. We joined them in the Vatican as they sang for the Pope. I was about 10 feet from him at one point.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Some well impressive stories there, Guys - keep them coming .... 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

I met Richard Attenborough, Anthony Hopkins 8) and the guy who used to do the film reviews before Jonathan Ross in the Moat hotel in Glasgow..

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Forgot about this post.

When I was working in London for the NAAFI (Navy, Army and AirForce Institute) I was involved with thec opening of Wellington Barrack near Buck House. The Queen was invited to open the Barrackeand when she looked aroud the Corporals Bar, she nodded to me :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

....."Our's is a pint!"

:wink: :D

9. AJ

Corporals only Gav Very Strict

No Officers :banned

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I have no claim to fame.

I have met several royals, personalities, politicians and many who have nothing.

I have been humbled at the strength of people suffering from a terminal disease and those who care for them.

I have been sick on a mountainside after seeing a climber fall and finding his body.

I have been saddened by the loss of friends on mountains, in canoes and on motorcycles.

I have been in awe of nature’s power on a sea in a full storm while running with just bare rigging.

I have seen the joy of the birth of a child.

I hold international qualifications and "gongs" for "Queen and Country".

But, I have no claim to fame.

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Racking my brain to keep up with you all here ...

Saw Walter Matthau while he was filming on location in London, and held a gate open for Sir Hugh Fraser (of House of Fraser fame) many years ago. Also, opened a door for the ArchBishop of Canterbury - he thanked me very kindly.

Recently stood next to Eddi Reader (Fairground Attraction) whilst looking at an exhibit in the Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow, and sat next to Carol Smillie (looking radiant) in Princes Square.

12. Badger

Badger New Member

I'm related to George Formby....but i try not to tell too many people!!!

13. AJ

All together

"Im standing at the lamp-post at the corner of the street............"

:P :P :P :P

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ah, AJ - you look so elegant in the stripy boating jacket and Brill-creem'd hair.

(btw, I believe it's "leaning on a lampost ..." :oops: )
    :P

15. AJ

So spelling not my strong point :!: :(

16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

my claim to fame? rather sad.

way back in the day, i tried to join the, wait for it, paul daniels fan club. woooooo. sent of my money, after about a year i got p*** all, wasnt impresssed. sent them a VERY nasty letter. they took one look at it, and passed it to the man himself. for some reason id included my mums work number on it - so he phoned her!

apparently it was quite funny, she doesnt use my surname anymore, so when he asked for mary reilly, she knew it was something to do with me, prolly panicked a little. then when he said who he was, she didnt believe him, lol.

he said he was going to sort it out. never did tho - bar-steward. lol.

Fergal

Moderator Edit: Altered language content in Post

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. Badger

Badger New Member

:rolleyes: yeah i guess I asked for that one!!!

18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Drat I can't think of anything :cry:

19. littlebud

littlebud Bit Poster

Flex

That has to be the sadest reply I could come across. Claim to fames do not have to be much you know. Here is one of mine.

I once owned the beaver skin wastecoat of........Ozzy Osbourn. When he had it it was down to the ground. By the time I got it it was normal length.
    .....and a bit smelly.
    :)

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I forgot to add that I used to have Simple Minds' piano (as seen in the "Once Upon a Time" tour) when I was still playing in the band. When they were still pre-stadium, they used to use the same studios that we did, and when they "moved on up", they just left the piano, and I sort of "liberated" it :oops:

You can see on the tour video that it's the same one, cos one key was slightly chipped in a very unusual place.

Also, I bizzarely managed to break a string on it during a recording session - something I've never even seen or heard of before :roll: