CIW WITH SKILLTRAIN

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Tecx, Aug 20, 2005.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

You don't say what company you are doing it with!!!
    Skillstrain rates vary but i paid 2.5 grand for the website design manager course. They include the exam prices and will keep entering you (and pay for) the exams if you fail. The official books are not included, but you get a copy of dreamweaver at a certain stage in the course. You do plenty of assignments to asses your knowledge and there is a website where you can ask tutors questions.
    Hope this helps.
    Stu.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply stupeas

Well that does not sound two bad as the Master CIW Web Site Manager contains 4 exams, thats the one your doing I take it?

The compony I am doing it with is a compony called IT Skills and I paid £3950.00 for the Master CIW Designer course plus I will be getting two Microsoft exams as well when I pass them.

The thing I dont like is now I am doing Site Designer the practice questions are not a lot of help. You also get the disks but I think they should provide you with a book as well as learning from a computer can get boring and if you miss something its hard to find it on the disk.

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When?
    At the end?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

you got it!!!

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nice one.

So you don't actually benefit from using it while you study, and if for any reason you don't complete the course you never receive it.

That's quite a clever trick. Telling you they give it to you but not mentioning the catch...

6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

No, I think i may be missleading you. You get it on the last module and have a chance to work with it to design pages and sites. However, The version that the advertising bumf says you get is 2004 (Ive already got 8, and i think i prefer to use the latest).

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I still use MX 2004.

I can't believe the prices that they want even just to upgrade from 2004 to 8!

Not in any hurry.

Must say that I usually use Visual Studio for stuff nowadays...

8. Belmont

Belmont Bit Poster

Might be useful for the newcomers: I've been struggling with them (see title) lately, and I just noticed that there is a small help on the StudentWorld site. :oops: For 11AQ1, they give you an almost complete script for the start etc.
    I was running amoc online, searching everywhere, forgetting to check them there in the first place. That bl**dy site is a bit of a mess, imho, I just don't like it...

Certifications: none related
    WIP: Master CIW Web Site Manager
  9. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

The site is VERY poor for an outfit that's trying to teach us about web design, eh?

Re. the version of Dreamweaver. I notice that although the voucher I got says MX2004, the course syllabus refers to Version 8 throughout.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  10. PaddyWeb

PaddyWeb New Member

Hi there

I have been studying with Skillstrain for over a year now and can say in there favour that they send out the coursework and mark the TMAs, eventually. I am studying the Web Design Manager course, the problem is that I have to keep buying books to facilitate my studying. A lot of the course coding examples use outdated HTML4 when the whole industry is moving forwards towards semantic use of markup e.g. XHTML with CSS styling. What the current course will teach you to do is to create web pages for the 1990s, great if you intend to spend all your time in that time period. CSS styling is given cursory treatment through the course, you will not learn anymore than the most basic styling. Another shocker when you get to it is that although the salesman that visits you at home will tell you that all costs on the course are covered, which in effect is true, that you have to pay for your exams yourself and then claim the costs back from Skillstrain at a later date. In my case that's a handsome £450 on top of the 'all inclusive' £3200 that I had to pay in the first place.

Having said that the course does act as a useful template/study guide so that you can buy books to actually learn what you need to know. I suppose it comes down to intention at the end of the day - do you just want to study the course as an interest or do you actually want to get a job in the IT industry. I will complete the course since I am this far in but will not use Skillstrain again, not that their admin department would notice. Once you have taken their finance package any support from the company comes from a department that the Little Britain "The computer says no!" sketch could have been based upon. Ironic for a company that sells IT courses!

11. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Hi to all.

i too am doing this course, have been doing for over a year now.I'm currently half way through Section 2 (JavaScript) its a bit tricky but i think im getting to grips.

I joined this forum in hope of just bouncing off ideas to and from each other....If thats ok!

I like the course, though i do visit loads of other tutorials online (thank god for Youtube) and read other books etc (not slept for over a year lol).

I use DreamWeaver & PS CS4, and having a mess around with Flash looking at various tutorials, is very important.

I think £20K + should always be an aim.

Anyway good look, and hope to keep in touch with you all!

I do worry about there being too many easy avenues for designing Web sites Though.

:git:git:git

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru
  12. Belmont

Belmont Bit Poster

Practically I've finished the course by January, just had no chance to study for the exams. Things have changed in the meantime, I'm not that bothered now.

Btw, I got Dreamweaver CS4 off them (actually the whole bunch of the Adobe CS4 software pack: Flash, Fireworks etc.), so don't worry.

Certifications: none related
    WIP: Master CIW Web Site Manager
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What?
    So you've paid £x,xxx to do a CIW course with a TP, haven't done any of the exams or got a certification, and aren't bothered?

Are you a Buddhist?

:blink

14. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Bubble burst!! What bubble, i thought the IT industry is one of, if not THE biggest growth industry.

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru
  15. Dynamite

Dynamite New Member

I have been doing the CIW Web design course. It is not what I was told it would be. http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Skillstrain/

16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The IT industry is highly cyclic. There were big dips due to Y2K and the dot.com bubble bursting. Onshore-Offshore, Insource-Outsource seems to go round and round too.

Sure it may not be like coal or steel, but it is not all roses either.

In terms of growth cell phones are pretty big, telecoms in general pretty big. Renewable energy, nanotech, biotech, probably gonna be big too.

I'm no economist but I expect many industries how grown quite a lot just due to consuption and population increase, you can probably include farming, supermarkets, oil, etc.

How do you measure growth ? Do you measure it in $ ? Many online purchases are for small amounts compared to other industries? How does corporate capital expentiture for IT compare to other spending? Also is growth more important or is size ? Certain products get massive market penetration then totally dissappear, growths just one metric, sodastream anyone ?

[​IMG]

Looks like growths down a lot since the early 1960's, if you believe these figures...

This year Microsoft posted its first ever drop in revenue...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/23/AR2009042303545.html

If there is a decline in advertising spend due to the recession then the whole ecommerce sector will feel it.

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What were you told it would be?
    Did you check out their website www.ciwcertified.com before signing up?