CIW Master Web Manager

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by lokideviluk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Yes nailbomb,
    That is what the guy said to me we do this interview so that they are not giving a course to someone who is not going to finish it or just do it for a hobby.
    Also he said about the finance side they do not offer this to anyone.
    I got the 17.00 pound aweek offer which is really good.
    With this company you get alot a tutor the free program worth 700 pound.
    I'm not complaning

Certifications: CLAIT,ECDL
    WIP: CIW WEBMASTER
  2. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Sorry about this, but I have just "woke up" about that last post that I submitted on this thread.

First of all, can I just admit that "of course - they are sales people", but I wasn't about to part with £3000 out of one hand whilst holding a new born baby in the other.

My point being was that I wanted to study a worthwhile course, and intented 110% to do my very best to be successful, both at the studying and the finding work afterwards part.
    Strange fellas that are telling me that they can guarantee me a job, don't impress me at all. I will get a job on my own merits, it isn't going to be handed to me on a silver platter.

Oh, the free software didn't grab me either, because it isn't free, is it! Think about it, It is included in the £64 that I'm going to pay every month for 3 years....

I also find it hard to believe that they travelled up from Luton just to see me, there must have been more than one student to visit that day.
    It's not that I'm cynical, but I do try not to look at things through "rose-coloured specs".
    I know what I want, and if they hadn't made the right noises then, I wasn't signing anything. I liked what they said, so I did sign.
    Very happy, I am too!
    Nothing has been a lie, or a stretch of the truth, to the extent that I can't handle anything. I have had some problems learning Perl, but the tutors have been excellent with me. :clap

I do recommend Scheidegger Training.

Sometimes, on the Internet and forums in general, there will always be people who for whatever reason, will be dissatisfied with their Training companies. People are entitled to their opinions, but if "you" had a grievance with a company, where would you "give it some"?
    The internet is a free medium where a company could be very badly Rubbished.
    I read one of these threads and it DID cause me some serious worry, so I asked to speak to a Scheidegger boss, and between us, we worked it all out.

The sales patter that I originally got was very optimistic, "work from home", "do a bit of free-lancing", "get everything sorted out in 9 months", I have done loads of thinking about this, and it won't be easy for me.
    Oh, and the 9 months, has actually turned out to be more like 2 years (because in my situation, constant study is very difficult). It doesn't mean that it's impossible, though.)

I have now got to get through Version 5 Foundations as well, I did V4 2 years ago! :rolleyes:

One last thing, employers may not have heard of a Schedeigger certificate, but they have heard of a CIW certificate. Scheidegger certificates are gained by completing the course work, it is not a Formal exam like CIW.

Sorry that the post was so long....

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Dee,

If only everyone's eyes were as wide open as yours were going into your course agreement, then life would be a whole lot easier out there. Your post was nothing short of inspirational, and I would urge anyone thinking even remotely about going with a training provider to read this thoroughly several times.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Thank you Jakamoko

To Nailbomb & Tecx - Please remember that I am in the "exact same shoes as you". I am a Scheidegger student too!

Hopefully, we can compare notes and support each other. God knows, I need help most of the time. My problem is that I'm strongly opinionated, but I am always open to ideas from others. :D

Best Wishes

Dawn

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  5. [TC]jimmy

[TC]jimmy Bit Poster

yipes 10 folders. thank god i'm takin notes, easier to revise. is the begigning part of the course regarding FTP and connection speeds etc etc relevant to the final exam??

Certifications: ND in ICT
    WIP: CIW WEB DESIGN MASTER
  6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

did you guys get the official prosoft training materials from scheiddeger?

If you did I can tell you that there will be NOTHING in the exam thats not in those books. Conversely, anything in the books is fair game. If you didn't get the official CIW courseware, things are trickier. Yes they examine connection speeds etc..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  7. [TC]jimmy

[TC]jimmy Bit Poster

oh ok thanks. no i didn't get the course materials you said, can i buy them from a book shop or something? sounds promising..

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I think you have to get them direct from Prosoft, if a student can get them at all.

Have a look at www.ciwcertified.com

IMO its crap courseware, but at least you know its contents are a dead cert for the exam!

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can get them from www.computerprep.com but you'll have to pay shipping from the US. They're not bad really, but expensive for what they are...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. [TC]jimmy

[TC]jimmy Bit Poster

cool ordered mine. found a few good sites that you may find useful i do lol.

this is a guy whos's done the course and has made notes etc and tries to explain it in simpler terms, pretty good. http://www.ciwcourse.co.uk/

then theirs this i found. useful to those on the CIW course and those thinking of joining. kinda puts the course in a real perspective.basically a former CIW students diary. and as dee mentioned above he didn't see it through rose coloured specs either. in fact he experinced problems that we may do. anyway check it out.

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/webdesign/ciwdiary.html

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Interesting links, thanks Jimmy.
    They're both from different perspectives alright. The only thing they seem to have in common is that neither of them can design a website. Which is ironic when you think about it.
    The content makes good reading though!

12. [TC]jimmy

[TC]jimmy Bit Poster

lol that is quite true, i dunno maybe they were goin for simple and to-the-point. but who knows. i dunno how much time a working CIW has on their hands lol. i found the content good also, opened my eyes a bit to the whole course

13. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

*lol* I think thats par for the course on 'web design' courses. They all seem to teach the mechanics, not the design skills, mind you, this course is a bit of this and a bit of that really.. jack of all trades ...

14. burmeze

burmeze New Member

I've been with Scheidegger for over a year now and I still haven't finished the course because I'm having alot of doubts and think I'm wasting my time. The things that they teach in my CIW Website Design Manager Course is seriously out of date. And I don't think I'm learning anything. What shall I do? Although they say I'll get a job, I don't think I will..

15. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

why don't you tell us what you think is out of date and we'll see if we agree.. also, tell us the exam codes so we know what version of the exams you're doing...

I would say that CIW teaching PERL is pointless, but Javascript is far from out of date.. and foundations now teaches XHTLML...

so, more detail required...

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

17. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

it all depends where abouts in the course you are. In the earlier part of the course, which i am on. they teach you basic mechanics, accessibility and all that (boring stuff :ohmy )
    which might well explain why those links jimmy provided,
    were to sites that were straight forward and pretty boring to look
    at.

However, macromedia mx studio is on the syllabus for the latter part of the course where there will be lessons about flash, dreamweaver , fireworks and all the rest of it.

There are nine folders for the whole course, yet on those sites they didn't seem to have actually finished the course, so that is why i don't think they are very good site designers!

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager
  18. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

While they teach those packages, they teach the mechanics of them. For example, I can teach you to use a word processor, but I can't teach you to be an author. Similarly, with web design s/w you need some native design skills.

Personally, I'd recommend anyone who wants to get into design, to do a design course in a college, then learn to use the software packages and build sites.

"Web design" courses are not design course, they teach the mechanics. A totally different thing...

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can't speak fo the material supplied by different training providers, but Clyde is right, the important thing they teach you is the mechanics.
    Read the CIW bumf on their website. They are vendor and product neutral. That means they don't support or 'teach' any particular product.
    If the training provider has introduced elements of 'learn Dreamweaver' then that's great and I'm sure it will be useful, but it won't feature in the exam.
    However, as a Web Designer you will have to become familiar with a number of packages, so if you get the chance, go for it!

20. Em

Em Bit Poster

Hi all, I have just started the Web Master with Scheidegger, i did originally start it in 2002, but for the last year, nearly gave up. but instead I ploughed through and re-read all my notes, files and books regarding java and have learnt it ! Yippee! I'm now re-instated with them and have started from 'Java Langauge for the Internet, part A' and loving it. If anyone wants to give me some advice about resources and information that can help me, feel free peep's. Thanks all and look forward to chatting!!!!!

Certifications: Diploma level3 Web Design?
    WIP: CIW