CIW foundation basic question

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by IThurts, Feb 12, 2008.

1. gordon

gordon New Member

For what it may be worth, I thought I would add my two-pence worth to this thread...

I have spent the last twenty minutes reading each and every post in this thread with great interest, as I am currently in attendance on a Master CIW Designer course.

I too thought long and hard about whether to go down the CIW route. I have been what I would class as an amatuer designer/developer for a few years, although full time employed in the Armed Forces. As I am now getting out I decided to make the move into the industry a full time thing. I choose to go ahead and book the CIW course knowing full well that it was not listed as requirement on any job website. I prefer to think of it as proof of a level of commitment and understanding (much like employers recognise a degree, no matter what the subject is!).

I strongly believe that employers don't list CIW as a requirement as there are so few people who actually hold it. However if they list XHTML, CSS, Javascript etc etc the CIW cert proves that you have studied these subjects up to a standardised level. In that aspect I think it offers credability.

In addition for somebody like myself who is in the early stages of getting a professional portfolio together with a view to working for myself, it is a useful boost and sales tool to any potential client as a method of selling my knowledge.

I am sure you will not all agree with me, but would be keen to read your opinions on my thoughts.

Regards,

Gordon

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
  2. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I think i might have a love hate relationship with CIW. When i first started studying the foundations modules, i was really excited about learning all about the webs history, how a browser worked, ect ect. I loved it!

And after passing my foundations exam, i was really excited when i purchased the site designer modules, thinking that, within a few months i would be a fully fledged web designer?
    But within a few weeks i was really disappointed with the depth of the content. I know there's alot to learn with web design and xhtml and css is not the only thing that needs mastering. But i feel that the modules that i studied (and was brought from their website) was very, very basic stuff!

When i started learning about CSS, i was stumped on a few things and couldn't work it out. It wasn't until i did a google search and found out about inheritance and specificity, which is basically the "cascade" in cascading style sheets, that i figured out my problems. What is more specific... is applied last! The most important thing in CSS!

So.....i got the hump! I thought then that perhaps i better look elsewhere to supplement my studies. And i reckon i found twice as much on web design then what was in all my CIW modules. And the worst part of it all is that it was ALL FREE!!!! Well....90% of it. And all that info was right in front of me all the time. That's where the hate came into it. There was so much more faults with the site designer modules that i would need about an hour to write it all down and it would be a bit boring for you all to read ( if it ain't already?)
    Couple that with the fact that NO employer has even heard of CIW, which i found out again only last week when i had an interview.

But....i wouldn't discourage anyone who wants to do the course and obtain the certs. I would gladly help out any which way i can. But i think people should concentrate on learning all they can from what they can and then building up a portfolio, which is more important then that certification. Like i said on here before......treat every cert as a personal goal and a confidence booster.

Gordon.....if you have been designing or developing web sites over the last two years, then spending hundreds if not thousands on a course that probably wouldn't teach you that much more then you already know, well......i wouldn't. And if you think the certs will help.....trust me they don't. Every employer that i have spoken to, either in an interview or on the phone, have asked me what can i do! Show me what you can do. Showing them a cert that no ones heard of ain't gonna tell them that. Which i am sure would be the same for potential clients if you worked for yourself.

What i am planning on doing and to keep close to web design, is to study for the Adobe certified expert exam, and eventually the instructors certification. Then design a web site purely on tutorials on flash and Photoshop.

All the best!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  3. gordon

gordon New Member

Thanks Nelly, for a very informative reply. I can see exactly where you are coming from, and take your advice with gratitude. If it wasn't for the fact that the MOD is paying the majority of the course fees, I too would be looking elsewhere. I suppose when I look at it, the biggest thing I may end up taking from completing this course is a confidence boost as you mentioned. I will agree that having completed the content for the foundation exam (sitting the exam next week) it was somewhat simpler than I was expecting! I had put that down to a failing with the learning provider, who are raising some concerns with at least two of us on the course.

I do have a question that you may be able to help me with, however I will raise that as a new thread.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Certifications: Master CIW Designer