CIW and Me

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Fordos, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Fordos

Fordos New Member

I apoligise if there are similar questions to mine out there but I would like some specific answers to my situation if possible!!

I've been working in IT for the last 2 years but do not have any qualifications to shout about (3 A levels being my highest qualifcations). I am interested in web design and have a basic knowledge as you can see from my site www.oldgeorgiansafc.com although I have absolutley no idea on creating my own javascript or flash or PHP, ASP or linking databases and XMLs to websites (I guess you get that I have only basic knowledge!).

Looking through information on the CIW course it seems like this would be able to teach me all I need to know and provide me with a qualification that proves I know how to do it!

My questions are is this qualification actually respected by employers , could they careless if I have one or not?

Is there a better or cheaper way of gaining all this knowledge in a structured way? (I don;t trust myself to learn it all bit by bit and piece it all together!)

If there isn't a better structered way how do I go about learning all the information and then taking the exams on there own? (Not buying the entire teaching package)

I have also read that these certifications hsould only be used as a basic entry level to web development, so where do you go after gaining the CIW qualifications or are people just refereing to getting better at web development from practise and your own ideas on website development?

I would be really grateful for any feedback.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

CIW is good, but it can be quite generic.
    The Master Designer series will teach you a lot, but you won't come out of it being able to reel off XML and Javascript etc - but you'll have a better understanding of what they are for.

There is a web languages module, but I haven't tried that one so check out www.ciwcertified.com for more info.
    It's also hard to get hold of 'official' course material in the UK without going through an authorised TP.

If you want to learn Javascript, look for a Javascript course at your local college or evening class.

You put yourself down by saying that you won't stick with self study, but there are some really good books out there where you can follow worked examples and get yourself the basic skills within a few days.

It's a place to start and at least then you'll have a better idea of what you want to pursue further or need more help with.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I don't think anyone of my employers or head hunters have cared about the CIW certs I've gained (3 of them). The exams themselves were not that hard, but then again I only did the simplest ones...

I'm not a web developer so the studies I did for CIW did teach me a trick or two, but through lack of keeping up with it, I've forgotten a fair bit. I do hear that CIW is fairly respected in some circles, so it's always worth a try. But I think the exams themselves were actually more expensive than my MCP's.

In any case, I would use the fact that you want to attain a CIW certification as a way to push yourself forward with your personal studies. I believe that one needs a pretty solid "foundation" in web design before it's worth going to a course/class and learning the tough bits (or you risk being left behind).

Good luck whichever way you go.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM