CIW and Jobs

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by ouzbel, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ouzbel

ouzbel New Member

Hi all, just finished the CIW web master course through skillstrain. Despite being assured that they would help find me a job when i finished the course it unfortunatley looks as if im on my own! :x Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat, and has anyone managed to find a job in general with the CIW certification behind them?

Euan

Certifications: CIW Web Master
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did.

Although I had done some web stuff before, CIW was my first certification.

BUT - CIW did not 'get' me a job.
    I studied, I practised, I marketed and I applied.

Getting a driver's license won't get you a job as a racing driver, but it's an important start...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. ouzbel

ouzbel New Member

Obviously I dont expect them to just get me a job, I was just disappointed with the level of support being offered.

I have started to market myself and have a few ongoing projects to add to my CV, as well as keeping my skills up to scratch!

Anyway, hopefully i'll be en route to a better job soon.

4. mikel6674

mikel6674 New Member

Im with the skills train, and have finished and completed the ciw e-commerce designer just about half through comptia project +. how have you found the skillstrain after you have complete ther course? have they found any jobs for you?

im a bit worried as this was 1 of the main reasons of doing this in the first place

WIP: CIW Foundations, E commerce
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, most training companies that lure you in with promises of employment tend to neglect those "promises". Never, ever, EVER trust guarantees of employment from a training provider.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nobody can promise to find you a job at the end of educating you. I took a two-year course (turned it into a four-year degree because I already had one and met all the requirements) in computer and network support from my local uni. They never "promised" me a job but of course, they have a career center which is supposed to help you. I took advantage of their services as well as the state employment office's services but in the end, neither one actually ended up landing me any of the jobs I've had.

My A+ cert has gotten me a fair amount of contract work, but it's such a well known and popular cert and hardware, OS, and Ethernet rollouts are really commonly occurring jobs, so that one's fairly in the bag.

I don't have a CIW, but I've done a bit of website developing, both within the context of Office SharePoint Server in a production environment and for myself and my congregation. While the skills I learned do somewhat apply to my primary career as a technical writer (currently, I create CHM help projects for my employer's products which I can edit in HTML source and modify the CSS styling), there are a lot of other technologies that come into play as well.

My opinion having known professional web developers is to keep on practicing and expanding your skill sets. HTML and CSS are fine for a start, but XML, JavaScript, Perl, Python, and other technologies all get mixed in as well. I'm self-studying Python now just to learn programming basics and because Python is a really cool and highly adaptable language. Also, I work with a bunch of software developers, so it would be nice to understand some of their conversations once in awhile. :wink:

In the meantime, start applying for entry level jobs in IT that match or even somewhat approximate your skills and experience. You have to start somewhere.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. ouzbel

ouzbel New Member

Skillstrain have done next to nothing to help me find a job, ive learned this the hard way unfortunatley.

I have however learned some good skills from the course which hopefully will help my employment prospects!

8. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here for a while as i have been really busy with learning flash and Actionscript.
    Very sorry to all who was up for joining me for the collaborated web site, but i was promised a look in if i was to learn Flash. Didn't happen by the way, but i have now got some more skills under my belt.
    Regards to this post......well, i haven't finished my exams yet, still got to do the e-commerce (IDO 525). But i have still been applying for web design jobs hoping someone will recognize that i am CIW professional and say...."yer...nice one, come for an interview right away"!. But as you can guess....no one! And that's out of more then a hundred applications regarding web design and web development.
    What i do get is..." have you got knowledge of 'PHP, HTML' CSS' Photoshop and flash.". Or more importantly...." Have you got a PORTFOLIO that showcases your skills?". NO!....not yet anyway but that's nearly there!

I have had some very good advice from this forum, and the one piece of advice that none of us should ignore and it's what i will always stress is that any web designer worth their salt would have their own web design portfolio to show potential employers what they are good at. That's the one thing that will give you more of a fighting chance of getting that all important interview, which is where you wanna be.

Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional