Citrix??????

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by cockney jeff, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cockney jeff

cockney jeff Bit Poster

Hi folks.
    Each time I get call from potential employer, I am asked what I know about Citrix.

I tell the truth and basically say 'not a lot'. They never call me back (surprise surprise)

What is Citrix? I don't come across this in any tech books I read or have read?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, Network + & MCP
    WIP: MCITP
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Citrix is a sort of thin client software, in order words it runs and breaths with terminal services and server. In a nutshell Citrix works very much like remote desktop allowing users to access secure network resources via vpn or web internet or intranet access.

Once the above has been agreed then you install the ica file on the end users computer to enable connection and communication access to the Citrix meta frame presentation server that houses the various apps like MS Word or even a custom bespoke application.

You might want to visit www.citrix.com to get some more insight. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

The vendors in India where I work use Citrix to used different applications. Ranging from the Office suite to bespoke applications. Personally I hate it because we have lots of issues with it.

As 1st line the only exposure with how to citrix is just resetting the users passwords.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  4. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hi Jeff,

I did some resource hunting for another forum once. Here's what I came up with. Hope some of it helps.

Citrix Certification Resources

Citrix claims over 34,000 certifications worldwide and offers 4,400 available test center locations in 162 countries through Pearson VUE.

----
    Citrix Resources

Citrix Home Page

Citrix Certification Page

Citrix Certification Brochure
    12 Page PDF Download

Training and Courseware FAQ

Citrix Certification Manager/Integral7

With Certification Manager/Integral7, you can view your progress toward certification, view exam and eLearning history, update your contact information to ensure receipt of certificates, and forward your validated certification credentials to a third party.

Citrix Contact Information

Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA)

Citrix Certified Integration Architect (CCIA)

Citrix Certified Sales Professional (CCSP)

Citrix Certified Instructor (CCI)

----
    Citrix Exam Information

Citrix Exam FAQ

----
    Additional Resources

Citrixxperience.com
    Citrixxperience.com provides Citrix practice exams, study guides, and study material for Citrix CCA, CCEA, and CCIA certification.

Citrix Certification Information
    Resources from About.com
    Get everything you need to earn your CCEA or CCA certification.
    You will find links to practice exams,
    current articles, study guides, and more.

CramSession
    Citrix Certification Resources

Netwind Learning Center
    Citrix Certification Training

CCA - Citrix Certified Administrator
    MeasureUp.com

Certification Practice Exams for Microsoft MCSE, MCSD, CompTIA A+, Cisco CCNA, and more.

----
    Citrix Related Media Resources

Citrix Introduces New Certification
    February 24, 2003 - Emilly Hollis

Citrix Systems Inc. has announced a new certification track: the Citrix Certified Integration Architect (CCIA). The new certification will test systems integrators and architects on their knowledge of Citrix projects and their ability to design and implement Citrix architectures.

Citrix Certification: Following the Project Life Cycle
    September 2005 - Mark Carter

With the release of Citrix Access Suite 4.0, Citrix has segmented its CCA
    program to provide flexible, convenient and cost-efficient certification.

IT Certification Industry Press Releases
    May 22, 2007 - Carolina Grimm

Citrix Expands Testing Opportunities for Candidates Through Partnership with Pearson VUE

Citrix Certification Exam
    News, Support, and Training Resources

This page is dedicated to Citrix Certification
    Testing news and support resources.

Citrix Certification Contracts
    IT JobsWatch - UK

Included is a guide to the contractor rates offered
    in IT jobs that have cited Citrix Certification.

----

Testing Facilities

Citrix Exams are available through both
    Pearson VUE
    and
    Thomson Prometric.

5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

In other words www.citrix.com

Certifications: A few.
  6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Kraven you don't happen to work for Vertex do you?

I've just finished an 18 month contract with Vertex in the UK whilst they finished off their outsourcing to India. I had no experience of Citrix before this and after a month or so I was fielding 3rd line support calls for the Citrix infrastructure. It's not difficult to learn, especially if you have a fair amount of experience with Wintel infrastructure.

I was using Metaframe XP and Presentation Server 4 [600 server in the farm].

Most administration is done through the CMC [Citrix management console], pretty similar in it's use and functions to the standard AD snap-ins.

Brian Madden has released one of his old Metaframe XP books for free which should be enough to get you started: http://www.brianmadden.com/content/article/Free-Download-My-800-page-Citrix-MetaFrame-XP-Book

7. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Nah I don't, Is that place any good?

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I never used or had any dealings with Citirx before I started my job so i'll explain it in the terms that make sense to me.

Citrix basically gives a user a working desktop that is not local to the machine but instead is run on a server somewhere else (probably more than one server as well!). This allows for provision of very cheap PC's with almost not software on them other than an O/S and the citrix software. You log into Citirx and get, for all intensive purposes, a desktop with all the applications you need to run. Your keystrokes and moue movements are sent to the server and you see what happens on your screen but the computing is actually being done somewhere else. You can log into a citrix session in various ways either directly via n VPN connection or through a web based "gateway" site.

It's a fiddly beast and prone to falling over and thus stopping half your workforce from doing anything but it makes the most out of network connections that can be swampped by lots of data flying about. Plus no one (well nearly no one) saves anything important on their C:! :D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  9. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

That's true, Citrix can be used to deliver a full working desktop to the end user but can also deliver applications without the full Windows desktop.

Windows Server 2008 is capable of doing the same...

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Originally posted by:JohnBradbury;
    Windows Server 2008 is capable of doing the same...

That should be interesting, Microsoft trying to get the better share of others in everyway feasible:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Doh!

Was just going to write exactly the same response!

TBH, Citrix is not usually used to provide complete virtual desktops - most companies use it for app virtualisation. It makes sense in the long run, as it means an end to the merry go round of upgrading desktops every 18 months to run more resource-hungry apps - companies can just roll out thin clients and users will be able to work on the same apps they always did. its also (theoretically at least) easier to centralise administration of applications, load balance them across multiple servers for scalability and reliability reasons, inherently more secure (thin client o/ses offer far less potential for tinkering) and brings a whole host of other benefits to an organisation.

Of course, the flipside is that it can be an absolute nightmare to set up properly in anything other than a basic farm, the networking aspects of Citrix performance are often overlooked - especially at the WAN level when you're dealing with latency issues that don't present in a LAN environment, users will ALWAYS moan that 'its running slower than it used to' and, when you have managed to fine tune it so it works well, you lose all your friends because half the IT dept gets made redundant :twisted:

I have a feeling that W2K8 Server - when Viridian finally makes it to market - will blow Citrix out of the water - who in their right mind is going to pay Citrix for bolting on additional functionality that M$ will be offering natively? That's why Citrix have been branching out into other areas in the last couple of years - they're not daft and have been through M$ shafting them before (anyone remember the whole debacle with Microsoft pulling the rug out from under them after they developed TS for Windows NT?) That said, I have little love for Citrix as a company - their business practices stink, their licensing is labyrinthinely (is there such a word as that?) complex and notoriously expensive and as for their 'support' - well, the less said about that the better!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em