Cisco IOS Update

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tom123, Feb 28, 2010.

1. tom123

tom123 New Member

Hello,
    just a simple question.
    Do you know if is possibile to upgrade IOS to an enhanced license or it should be activated by cisco?
    We have some enhanced IOS taken from rapidshare for study.

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm sorry - did you mean, "can I upgrade the IOS using a stolen file I've downloaded from a torrent site without a Cisco support contract?"

Just checking like...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. tom123

tom123 New Member

No support contact.
    Is a very old switch not more supported by cisco.

I have some ios downloaded from rapidshare, cisco doesn't support this model anymore.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Still stolen though, isn't it? Unfortunately, the moral rights and wrongs of the 'abandoned product line' argument are not in effect here. The IOS is the property of Cisco - no matter how unfair it seems that you can't upgrade the IOS on your old switch.

So the answer is no - you can't do it - and anything you've downloaded from Rapidshare - or anywhere other than the official Cisco site for that matter, is stolen.

HTH

5. tom123

tom123 New Member

Even the 99.999999999% of book linked in this site are copyright protected and then should be considered as stolen.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There is no copyright material on this forum. You;re confusing it with one of the other forums out there that condone (or at least turn a blind eye to) copyright theft. Mebbes you should read the rules of the forum before you chuck accusations like that around.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, 99.999999999% of books on Rapidshare ARE probably copyright protected and SHOULD be treated as stolen intellectual property. :dry

The bottom line is this: it's Cisco's IOS. They can do with it what they will. If you don't like Cisco's copyright terms, get a switch from a different vendor.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!