Cisco/console remote management using Dial-up modem.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by melhiore, May 28, 2011.

1. melhiore

melhiore Bit Poster

Hello there.

I'm looking for good advice. I need to do remote management on certain Cisco devices. There is also some group of devices using console connection set up the same way. Now to the problem.

1. I can put WIC card with analog modem and use is to dial-in to router/switch - that require Customer landline available for this type of connectivity. This is for Cisco only. Other devices would require external Dial-up modem with RS232...

2. I can use ADSL backup to get to router and manage all this way however if ADSL fails and they do I'm cut off. It is mainly used with router not switches...

3. I can use external dial-in solution with RS232 output which can be dialed in from standard PC analog modem - require me sitting in from of my PC - not very good idea as I'm traveling to much. This type of modem is available on eBay for around £25 and it does the job good so I would like to use these stuff. It require SIM card in it but it is not a problem...

I'm looking for advice regarding setting up 3G usb modem as a STANDARD Dial-up device so I can dial number, get to GPRS/RS232 modem on device end and manage it this way. These 3G USB sticks are available everywhere in any cell provider shop and they cost around £15.

I would like to use these 3gUSB stick as a standard modem. Long time ago I had old Nokia doing the same job. I am aware that I may need to replace SIM card as the one delivered with modem may not work. It is not a problem but before I spend money on SIM and top-up I would like to heart from anyone that managed to set this solution up and is using something similar...

Any advice appreciated.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Security, CompTIA N+,S+, CWTS/CWNA