Chucked into the deep end

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by oztrailrider, Oct 18, 2007.

1. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I have been working in the automotive industry for almost six years now and I have been studying to get my MCP certification for a short time now. I made the decision recently that I have had enough of my current job and want to pursue a career in IT which has been one of my main interests in life since I got hold of my trusty 286 at age eleven. I have had a decent amount of experience with a lot of different hardware and software from DOS 5.0 right through to Vista. and a fair amount of Linux experience (Debian, Redhat, Ubuntu etc.). I have built quite a number of PCs also. I currently am the admin of our systems at work which comprise of a 2003 SBS server and Win 2k Pro/XP Pro clients which means about eight systems in total. Although there has not been much in the way of administration required since the systems have been pretty solid since installation. Fairly basic all told.

The situation I face at the moment now is that my current place of employment is being bought by a large conglomerate who are buying multiple shops nationwide. Nineteen to begin with (they plan on having a lot more in the future). I have recently had a meeting with them and have accepted a job offer to be their system administrator/IT manager for all sites. They feel my experience in the trade is incredibly valuable compared to hiring an outside IT expert who has no understanding of how the trade works and the people in it.

This is a great opportunity for me and I feel incredibly lucky to have been offered it but I can't help feeling like I don't have the knowledge/skills required. I have had no experience in the IT industry and while this is certainly something I can't knock back I don't want to be jumping in to something that is over my head. I am just wondering if anyone might have had a similar experience and/or could offer any advice?. Sorry for the long post!.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi whilst judging from your thread that you're not a computer novice experience is of a higher importance in the field of information technoloy and landing the first role.

I'd strongly, advice you start applying for 1st line IT helpdesk support roles and start on the A+ cert first before looking into the MCP route. The A+ cert is two parts, one being the hardware aspect and the second operating systems. You can study this through self study, get the book a computer or two and start plugging away. Cheerio and best wishes with your desired route.:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It does sound like you have a fair amount of experience, I think with your xp and knwledge you should pass (A+)it fairly quickly and you could do the MCP at the same time.

It also sounds to me you have a confidence issues just like me, I would say judge your experience against what the new job entails/

Does it involve training ?
    Can you do the majority of what is required without training?

If you can do the majority without training and can get training on what you don't know then I would go for it.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats on the job! :)

Best advice I can give is to learn as much as you can. More than likely, you'll do well, considering your background with computers. If you don't know how to do something... that's what Google is for! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As GBL says, it seems to be a bit of a self confidence problem, but if you already knew the answer to every problem that you were going to face in the future where would the challenge and the fun be?

I don't think that you'd be out of your depth, infact as they have already said your knowledge of the motor industry could be a major help.

Don't feel scared to make your concerns known to them and see waht they say, yes, they could say ok you're not ready. Alternatively they could say you're not ready, but they feel you have the potential, and given the right guidance and support could make a good go of it.

Going from a single site to multiple sites is going to be an interesting venture for you, and as long as the employer realises that there is more to IT than just the PC's on the desk and will support you providing training where you feel it is needed then welcome the challenge. A mulitple site setup like they seem to be wanting you to do is more than a one man job and it could well be that you get to be the 'internal' guy that works with the external providers to set things up the way that you want them.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to approach your employers and ask if they'd be willing to pay for part or all of any supplemental training you will need. Since they realize that your experience in their industry and supporting the current IT infrastructure is a valuable in-house resource, they may be willing to foot the bill in developing you more. Couldn't hurt.

As Michael says, "Google is your friend"...and in your case, also TechNet.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For the record... I use Google to search TechNet. Works MUCH better than Microsoft's own search engine! :biggrin

To search an individual site, use the site: keyword on Google. For example, to limit your queries to pages on microsoft.com, use site:microsoft.com. To limit it to TechNet pages, use site:technet.microsoft.com. Works like a charm!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Learn how to use other people skills to compliment your own.

Don't let your own ego get in the way of using other people brains.
    Learning how to extract knowledge & skill from those that possess it can save a lot of time!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations and don't pass up the opportunity because you think you maybe out of your depth, you may find that you're not. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys. I am not turning down the opportunity and am quite excited about it all, I guess I am just lacking a bit of confidence since I am not experienced with the things that I may be expected to do. I've just been getting worried about my limited experience with things like There is only one way to learn though, I will just have to play it by ear and do the best I can. I was hoping to get into an entry level job and gain my experience that way but there is no way I am passing this up. I will keep you posted as things happen :biggrin.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+