Christmas Prezzie Idea

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by TimoftheC, Dec 10, 2007.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Ok, following on from the other thread on this topic, which seems to have gotten a little long (and just a bit off topic :D).

I'm in a similar boat as the rest of ya - other half wants to know what I want for xmas and is looking for a reasonable answer :dry

Well after reading some of the other posts on the forums I came up with an idea - a MULTIMETER.

Both the A+ and the N+ make reference to them and I have an idea how to use one, but I have never actually used one before so it would be useful to get me hands on one and have a play around.

The reason for the post is that there appears to be loads of different types on the market for a whole different range of prices :ohmy. I could do with some tips on exactly what I should be looking for in a multimeter to help troubleshoot pc problems (and hence, what to tell the missus).

Any thoughts (jokes) advice and pointers would be welcome :twisted:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I got one these a while back http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46458&doy=10m12&C=SO&U=strat15

They will do all you need to test voltages for your power supply, if you have the all in one exam guide by Mike Myeres it explains how to use it when testing various parts on your PC.

As for crimbo prezzies I got some RAM for my PC although I already have put it in, so I wont have much to open on crimbo day not that it bothers me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?