Cheap Cable Router with USB?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Gav, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

I'm looking for a basic wireless cable router that has a built in USB print server. Does anybody know of one? (Does anyone have one?)

I'm looking to get one second hand fairly cheap to share a new broadband line/printer between two PCs.

Thanks,

Gav

EDIT: Just remembered about the Apple Airport Extreme. I'll see if I can pick up an early model - seems perfect for what I'm trying to do.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Just in case anyone is interested...

I picked up an old AirPort Extreme today for £10. Took it home, plugged it in, and it quite literally worked straight away.

I pointed my Windows box to it's IP and it worked straight away - on Windows 7 x64. All features of the printer work, and I can use the Canon software with it just fine. Particularly impressive when my printer has no linux/unix/Mac support whatsoever.

You have to use the Apple software to configure it, and it's not really feature packed, but it's very decent. I was expecting to have to summon the dark lord to get it to play nicely with Windows but it just sort of... worked.