Changing mobo in a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nyx, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Hello All,

will be attempting what the title says sometime next week, has anyone who had done it got any hints? I've googled a bit, obviously will be careful with the screws in the right holes etc. not too sure which thermal paste would be best?

any help much appreciated,

Nyx

2. GW

GW Byte Poster

It's been years since I've worked on the internals of a laptop but basically go very slow and don't force anything, if you come across something that doesn't come out easily google it to see if you can find a guide on removing the parts to make sure you are doing it correctly.

You might want to go to a WalMart or whatever superstore you have around you and get a set of dental tools in the teeth isle, you know the picks and such, those I found to be very helpful in removing and connecting little ribbon cables in the laptop as well as line parts up to the screw holes.

To help you out, get a digital camera and take pictures as you go so you can see what parts goes where and how it is connected so you can easily go in reverse to put everything back.

But don't worry if you have a few screws left over once you reassemble the laptop, when I used to do warrenty repair we always have a compatition on who would have the least amount of leftover screws when reassembling a laptop.

For the thermal paste I will leave that up to someone else to answer because I don't usually work on computer hardware anymore so I don't know what is the best anymore.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've done it a few times even on the HP Mini laptops, which were a pain! The trick is to be very careful like GW mentioned... certain screws, cables like the one to the LCD can be tricky and can easily break so be careful. Most important part, document if you're not sure because when time comes to put back the parts and you forget where goes what and with laptops that can happen, at least you'll have it documented.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA