Changing jobs...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by faulknerm, Feb 10, 2009.

1. faulknerm

faulknerm New Member

...in the current climate!

I speculatively applied for a Linux 2nd line role last week, and have been invited to an interview at the end of the month.

The job would be a massive leap in the direction that I want to head, as it means moving into Linux support - which is where I really want to be. My concerns are that I would be giving up a job that I have held for 12 months with a fairly large international company to work with a team of 10 for a small, UK based company.

Given the current economic mess (thanks Gord :rolleyes:) would it be unwise of me to leave a relatively secure job to work for a comparative minnow? On the flip side, even the "big" players aren't safe bets these days...

Apart from being closer to what I want to do, and giving me a lot more responsibility, the role does also have some financial benefits - the basic pay being "up to" £8k per year better.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Marc

Certifications: MCP, MCDST,
    WIP: CCNA, MCITP
  2. Applewhaite

Applewhaite Bit Poster

wow it sounds like your in a win/win situation! = You stay and your guaranteed job security you leave and its like starting any new job*risks*

I would do a lot for 8k more a year... that’s me though.

so if the lines secure reel it in??

this is a no brainer for me but I’m young and stupid.:biggrin

Certifications: A+,ADITP,MCDST,NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: N+
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It says the basic pay is 'up to' - how close to your current wage is the lower bound of that limit? As that's the wage they'll try to hook you in on, especially if you have no 'previous form' with regards to Linux experience?

I tend to stick around like the proverbial smell once I'm in a job, so I've never been in a position to comment on risky switches - but as has already been highlighted, even the big companies are risky business. It *may* be better to be the bigger fish in the smaller pond, as opposed to a number in a massive IT department that's heading for cutbacks no matter how well you perform as part of the whole.

Meh. Just my rambling thoughts :)

At the very least, the interview experience won't do you any harm at all!! :) Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I think if this is what you want to do then go for it.
    The reason you applied is because you were looking for a better job.
    The reason they did contact is because they find you suitable for the position.

My thoughts

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Didnt realise Linux had a second line support? :biggrin

Seriously though, go for it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. faulknerm

faulknerm New Member

Thanks for you input. :D

As has rightly been pointed out, I applied for the job as I feel that I have progressed as far as I can in my current position and am looking for a new challenge.

In terms of the salary, the lower end of the pay bracket is £1k or so above my current basic, although due to an obscure bonus structure operated by my current employer I have taken home as much as 40% on top of my basic in PRB's. (Which is quite a high percentage when we're talking a sub £20k basic!). The company interviewing me are aware of this, and that I would be looking for at least the middle of the pay bracket to consider accepting the job - and they're still interviewing me, so it can't have put them off that much.

It's dificult to say how secure my current position is, however there have been noticable cutbacks recently (think removing light bulbs to conserve electricity!!) so I certainly wouldn't say that the company is reaping massive profits at the moment. The've also made a number of changes to the bonus structure, meaning that my take home pay for the coming year will be at least £3k lower than last year...

I was planning on going to the interview regardless, however having given it a lot more thought I'm now thinkng that I'd be foolish to turn the job down if it was offered - it's too good an opportunity to pass up. :D

I'll let you all know how I get on.

7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm also thinking...

Company that creates job opening seems more secure than company making cuts.
    Obviously there might be exceptions

Good luck on the interview

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd go for it. As pointed out you would be moving into an area where you are interested in and would therefore do well in. One thing is, you can't depend on end of year bonuses when deciding on things like salary. If you get a salary increase over your current job and can live decently on it then that's what you need. The bonus is exactly that, a bonus. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I always find that during times like this, your job is more at risk being with the huge company, they are more prone to cutting costs to maximize profits, a small company that has a solid customer base (IE has the same customers year in and year out) is unlikely to go shedding jobs, the company may go bust, but if they were employing more people then they must have a good reason to.

In a huge machine your a small cog, in a small machine your the power supply.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Unless you are a banker, and then its a contractual obligation.

I agree though, only count guaranteed take home in your considerations for switching to another job. If they cant tell you that you will get x every month/week/hour (be it a car allowance, or salary), then its a nice have, but not a consideration.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. faulknerm

faulknerm New Member

Hi,

Thanks again for your feedback!

I decided to go for it, and had my interview today.

They certainly seemed very positive, and now that I know a bit more about the company It's very much the sort of place that I would like to work.

I should be getting some feedback, and possibly a decision, on Tuesday - so I'll keep you all updated!

Cheers,

Marc