Changing extensions of "multiple" files...?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, Jul 6, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

YES!! Freakin magic! Thanks guys! :D I have the 150 files on my F drive and created a folder on my C drive just for this experiment copying over only 15 files, strange though, it did 14 out of 15 files, wonder why it left out just that one? Ok, ok, KISS right?

2. mikehende

Alright, here's my plans right now, I will first look into "spaces" then "moving through directories" then "through drives" so can anyone tell me what I need to know about spaces in the command line? Why and when it should be used?

3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

just do this at all times:

command [space] instructions [enter]

so for instance:

cd c:\windows
    format c:\
    del *.*
    ipconfig /all
    route print
    telnet hostname

repeat after me, command [space] instructions [enter], command [space] instructions [enter], command [space] instructions [enter]... :p

[edit] of course the instructions can also include spaces, depending on the command and the instructions. best example is the one you have used today. between the source files (*.) and the target files (*.flv) you had to include a space.
    [edit2]maybe it will help if you think of it as a language (which it basically is). youdon'twritelikethiseither,doyou?

4. mikehende

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This was why I said to do everything one way from the command line. All the commands except for cd require both the space and the double quotes or you will get errors when you run them.

Do everything the same way every time until you can do this stuff in your sleep. You are literally making command line stuff 10 times harder than it is because you seem to keep wanting to run the cd command the "cool" way without spaces. All you are doing is absolutely confusing yourself because now you're trying to run all the other commands without spaces too although you've been told several times that the rest of the commands must have the spaces and the double quotes.

KISS is the best advice you can follow. Do everything exactly the same way and forget all the "cool" syntax variations. They confuse me and I've been playing with command line stuff for a few years. It's hard enough to remember all the switches and varying syntax for all the different commands without adding more complexity. Stick to the syntax that will work in all situations.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

1] How do I "jump" to and also "view" the wavelab lite directory?

From there a CD.. enter will take you back one directory in the tree, then another CD.. enter will take you to your desired directory.

2] Then how do I get back to

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\WaveLab Lite\Tools\SystemInfo

CD \Program Files\Steinberg\WaveLab Lite\Tools\SystemInfo

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. mikehende

ok thanks, let me work on what you have written here and will get back to you tomorow.

8. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

To make tasks easier on the CL, use the UP and DOWN arrows to cycle through your previous commands.

To change the variables of this feature, right click the Title Bar of the 'DOS' box, and click on Properties. Then, make sure the Command History is of appropriate value for you to use.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Note that, by default, this feature is not available in Win98SE and earlier (and possibly ME - but I've not tried it on that) unless you arrange to run 'doskey' when the command prompt opens.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. mikehende

Alright, been working at this, found a great tutorial here if anyone is interested

http://hometown.aol.com/radelkopf/dos.htm

concerning moving up the levels in the directories, someone told me that the more dots you use after cd the further you will skip directories but this does not work on my end, any of you guys know of this? Eg. If I have

c:\program files\steinberg\wavelab lite\tools\systeminfo

and I wish to jump straight to wavelab lite then I type cd... and if I wish to jump straight to Steinberg then I use cd and 4 dots [cd....] e.t.c, any ideas about this?

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Not sure who told you that :blink cd.. (two dots) is the only one i know of that will work, more than two and less than two (as in one dot) will not work, of course i could be wrong...

12. mikehende

ok next, concerning creating directories, on page 575, how do I create a "sub" directory? The book creates a directory named
    quake3 and then I hvae to run the MD command to create it, this I see but to add a sub-directory to this, I don't know what to type?

cd \quake3???

13. mikehende

it's alright, I got it, sorry.

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This again is one of the (sometimes available) Windows shortcuts that doesn't always work.

Best way of dealing with moving up multiple levels is to use the directory separator. e.g. - to go up two levels use cd ..\..

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. ffreeloader

16. ffreeloader

One more thing here. At the cmd prompt in xp or at dos prompt you can always get help for any command by simply typing "command /?", i.e. "cd /?" for the cd command.

17. mikehende

@Harry
    Nice one, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

@freeloader
    NOW ya tell me! :biggrin I have been bustin my chops trying to delete stuff according to the book and nothing is working and I can't for the life of me figure out why, so this explains it, thanks for the sources, will look into it now.

I think MM made a huge mess out of this entire Command line section, I tried contacting him but no reply, hadn't it been for you guys here, I might have had to skip this section of the book.

18. ffreeloader

Until I saw your link I had no idea that you were using Windows 98 resources as many people use the terms "DOS prompt" and "cmd prompt" interchangably even though they are different animals..... :rolleyes: :blink

However, I think most of your problem right now is that you aren't getting the syntax correct as you have confused yourself by trying to move away from standard command line syntax: command [space] switch [space] "parameter with spaces" and command [space] switch [space] parameter_with_no_spaces. This causes you to not recognize inadvertent typos where you omit spaces that should be there and then the commands fail. If you would use the standard syntax every time it would help you recognize your syntax errors much more readily.

I'll say it again. Anything other than standard syntax is a mistake for a beginner.

19. mikehende

well then freeloader, here we go, back to the square one as I have no idea what you're referring to. I have been trying to follow MM's examples explicitly exactly the way I see it in the book and this is not working all the time which is why I have to keep coming here with this so frequently.

Right now I am in the Removing Directories section and have followed his examples to the letter but it is not deleting. If anyone has the book and have XP xan you tell me if you can delete the Quake3 "Files" subdirectory please? Well, the prompt I am getting is the the Files directory is not empty, how can I empty that directory?

20. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mike, the RD command removes the Directory only if it is empty. if the directory [Quake 3] contains a file called quake3.exe then the RD command will not work - you will have you use the del command to delete the file (quake3.exe) and then move back <-- a level and use the RD command so;

C:\games\quake3\quake3.exe
    use del command to delete quake3.exe - > del quake3.exe

C:\games\quake3\
    go back one level - > cd..

C:\games\

Remove Directory Quake3 -> RD quake3

= no quake3 folder

....is that easier?