Changing Career- Need Some Wisdom Please!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by coyles, Jan 18, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

At what? Stealing stationery or IT? :twisted:

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good point! Upon further consideration, I'd guess the answer would be, "Either". :D You must be good enough at one or the other that I either can't find out or don't care. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. coyles

coyles New Member

Hello Node

Thank you for your advice.

I would like to mention the fact that although I am 32, I am Female, not married and am able to support myself financially although I may be changing career. I do expect my salary to decrease but if that is what I need to do then that is what I will do. As other's have mentioned if it was all just about money then I would probably have trained to become an accountant.

Learning new elements is one of the things that attracted me to the Industry in the first place so thanks to those of you who agree that attitude is more relevant than age.

S

4. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

Exactly. based on what? your extensive world knowledge? dont be fooled into thinking that youth is a good substitute for competence,wisdom & humility.
    If you can do the job,you can do the job-regardless of age. "beep" any employee who thinks different.
    If i was doing it for the money i would have stayed on the building site.
    Your post has really annoyed me!

Certifications: Nothing spoddy,all electrickery so far
    WIP: a+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the response, coyles. As the person who started this thread, your reply has the most weight. Glad to "see" the person "behind the mask". :wink:

I think it's important to mention that your use of quotes tallpaul, creates a bit of confusion. On the surface, it looks like you are annoyed by GiddyG's post but I'm guessing you're actually agreeing with GiddyG's post and objecting to comments made by Node. Just wanted to clear that up.

Now that it is clear, I remind everyone that as far as I'm concerned, the "I'm annoyed at you" part of this thread is over. Coyles has responded and made her position clear and unless anyone has anything *constructive* to add, I'd say the conversation is over...at least as far as the arguing.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. GiddyG

Agreed Trip... just want to add that it is - but maybe it shouldn't be - surprising how so many people actually decide to make a career change into IT in their 30s, 40s and beyond...

I know from my perspective that I love all things IT, and that was fuelled by the opportunity several years ago now (the days of WFWG3.11 and Xerox GlobalView/NT3.1) to work hands-on with PCs, servers, hubs, switches and cabling.

OK, I moved up, on and away from that element of it - into Service and Change Management, yet I have always hankered after getting back into it.

John

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have read this thread with interest but didn't reply due to the arguing but have now decided to respond.

I am 31 in just over a month, I am not working in IT but hope to. If an employer does not employ you because of your age then they are a bad employer and are infact breaking employment laws.

Most employers will employ someone due to their ability, if you can do the job and an employer see this then they will most likely employ you.

Granted it may be more difficult if you are close to retirement age but Coyles (the original poster) says she is 32 so basically there are about 25 - 30 years before she retires. So Coyles I say to you that you have plenty of time to get into IT and do not worry about anyone saying you are too old.

If you are willing to learn and get on with the job then you will be employed it may take a little while to find the employer who will take you on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. coyles

coyles New Member

As with all career changes, many of us will have experience in many different businesses aswell as quite a few transferable skills which maybe some of the "younger" graduate trainees may not have to start with. So it works both ways really.

S

9. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

Sorry mr trip. you are absolutely right. As i'm so old can i put it down to Alzheimer's?:biggrin

Certifications: Nothing spoddy,all electrickery so far
    WIP: a+
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You're probably not older than I am. :wink: :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. simon581

simon581 New Member

Welcome to CF :D:D:D

12. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

Yes proof would be good. Just wait until I find my ideal IT job.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  13. GiddyG

Heh heh... me too... 8)