Changing accounts for Telewest

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Sep 14, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

anyone here on Telewest Blueyonder?
    my housemate (who I hate so much that when we talk to each other we will end up killing each other) is moving out today (probably already has as I am at work!)...now we have a 2Mb Blueyonder connection which is under his name...
    now I asked him if he will change account to my name...he said he couldnt as it was a year contract...but the thing is the bloke who was before back in April had the connection in his name and moved to this guys name (I dont know how long the contract was on before the name was changed) but altho it took Telewest a while to sort it it was eventually changed. now am I right in thinking that unless u move to another Telewest enabled area you should be able to change the account to the other housemate? maybe I have confused you people so I will make it as simple as possible...basically he's moving out...but I want the blueyonder connection kept and moved to my name (seeing as they are upgrading soon to 10Mb!!!) but he's saying it cant be done...he had such an attitude that he didnt allow me to explain and just went to work...(idiot!!!) anyway...can anyone tell me if this is possible or do I need to call Telewest to reconnect under my name and get a new contract?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well surely if it is a 12 month contract and he is cancelling early, he'll have to pay a cancellation charge. If he does that then just get the ISP to reconnect you back up.

But I could be wrong :(

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thats true AJ...so if he deos that the nI will call them up to get it reconnected...probs by the time I get home (about 9pm) he will have gone anyway...so hopefully he has not removed my cables...but it wont matter cos the router we are using is mine...so he should really only disconnect his cable...but if anytime the connection goes down then I will be calling them up to get me back on and put it in my name...but thanks so far AJ...

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I guess if it's just the Telewest account you mean, then they will accomodate you, but if it means changing the BT account, you know wht's gonna happen there Noel - good night ADSL !

Speak to telewest :)

EDIT !!! DOH ! Telewest = cable = not using phoneline !!! Sorreeee :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Jak my BT phone line is in my name and in my room only...so theres no problem there...plus the Telewest box is in my room as well...so it makes sense to pass it to me...but I dont wanna use my BT phone line for ADSL cos it aint as good as Telewest...but thanks anyway...

6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Noel, I would imagine that ur ex-flatmate has actually cancelled the contract! Why? well if he doesn't he either (a) carries on paying for a service that he isn't using or (b) stops paying them which means they'll default on HIM, put him in arrears and therefore knacker up his credit rating!

I would give it a week or 2 to see if the service is disconnected...my bet is that Telewest will disconnect it at the end of the next billing period - which he has already paid for!

You already said that he was an a$$hole, in that case I doubt he'll let you in on the truth! Give Telewest a call...they'll soon tell you what the score is!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You will never get it switched over to your own name if the flatmate doesnt call himself. the best you could do would be to tell them that the account holder no longer lives there (cancelling the current account), and that you would like an account (handy that, isnt it). I doubt it would take them long to do that, and with minimal downtime (most likely exactly the same as a name change to be honest)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks guys...well I got home from work last nite and found out he took the flamin cable modem with him leaving just my router behind...so I rang Telewest to see if I can set up an account for me...just waiting for them to give me a call today...is he allowed to take the modem with him? assuming he has told Telewest he is moving....

9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

The cable modem belongs to Telewest, he most likely took it to send back to them.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hmmm am not sure about that like...but who cares...am getting a new connection all for me...(for now till more people move in!!!)

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well...I rang Telewest, they said my ex housemate had already put the cancellation in place and the connection was stopped yesterday...so I have asked for it to be put back on in my name...only one snag is they want me to pay £25 up front (goes towards the bill) by credit or debit card and I have neither of those :( so I am trying to get one of my friends to sort me out on that department...however in the meantime I ordered it online...so anyone here who has Telewest can you tell me if u had to pay in advance if u ordered online as I wasnt asked for this during the process...but perhaps I will be asked again when they ring up to confirm the installation dates...thanks guys..:D

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

How could you order it online m8 if you don't have bank account detais ? Assuming you do have an account then surely they gave you a card with it ? Or am I missing something here ?

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes I have a bank account mate but its one of those basic ones without a debit card...anyway I just an email from them:

We are pleased to advise that a Broadband Technician will be calling on
    26.09.05 between 1pm and 6pm to install your new services. The
    installation will take approximately 2 hours. Someone will need to be
    present whilst the installation takes place.

however I picked 22/9/05 between 8am and 1pm and also 1/10/05 between the same time...so now I am going to have to ask for a day off work in order for them to come round...they said the info pack will be coming in the post soon...so I guess I may not need to pay the advance just yet...if I do I hope they dont ask for a credit or debit card again!!!

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Good to hear you've (nearly) got it sorted NoelG :)

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

haha...yeah here's hoping...I am so lost without the internet at home now...last nite I was at home and was bored...even tho I was watching TV off my PC but that was it...so bored...

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thought I would update you people on whats happening so far...well I ordered Telewest from the website, was sent out the contract which I signed and sent back today...they are coming to install the modem next monday between 1pm and 6pm so had to beg my lovely gorgeous manageress if I can take the day off...she was ever so nice (which dont happen very often!!!) so hoping I dont get a phone call asking me to pay £25 upfront by credit or debit card (of which a friend at work has agreed to help me with in case it happens) I should be back on 2Mb connection by monday afternoon/evening and then in about 2 months 10Mb is arriving...

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

2 meg, 10 meg ? Rock on! :rocks

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Wow! Looks like a good ISP to me.
    I am with Plusnet on their Premier account but unfortunately my line will only "handle" 1MB :(

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well find out if u can get Telewest in your area...its a shame really cos they dont have it all over the UK...in fact only about 30% of the UK is on Telewest services and out of that 30% about half can get the broadband connection otherwise its the analogue/dial up connection for Telewest which can suck at times...but am glad to be in a Blueyonder area...otherwise it would coming thru the phone line and I hate that as its having to deal with contention ratios...aaarrrggghhh!!!