Change of jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by GrumbleDook, Jun 15, 2008.

1. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Well, I am moving from a school to work for the County Council for a year to work on a number of projects and set up a permanent job for the future as part of restructuring of council staff.

Looking at the variety of courses out there I think I can miss out some of the technically relevant ones and I will shortly be starting work on ITL v3 and PRINCE2. I really don't think I can get away with trying to complete these at the same time so which would people recommend first?

It is worth noting that I have been chosen for this secondment due to experience and not qualifications ... in fact the last 3 jobs I have done have been based on experience or enthusiasm / drive rather than qualifications.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't do it Tony! ITIL is the most boring thing you can ever do!!! :eek:

3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Good luck!! :)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

True, true :lol:

To be honest I would do the ITIL v3 Foundation exam first, as you can study the course material and then sit the exam within a week, when booked thru either Vue or Prometric (under either ISEB or EXIN).

With the Prince2 course (unless I'm wrong) you either have to sit a course, then sit the exam at the end of it or sit the Prince2 exam at a scheduled time (which is normally once a month) at this place. Not only that, but there's sometimes a 4-6 week waiting list.

See here.

Hope this helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations and good luck in your new path.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

never saw this part. securing your own future there Tony! :dry

jk. :biggrin

7. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

I'm setting up the job for someone to come into. I've been doing chunks of it part time for the last 9 months and with the LA job restructuring there is now way they could advertise it as a permanent post so they would be unlikely to get anyone yet and no chance of getting someone in to allow me to go back to just working for my school. The secondment was the only thing left ... it also gives the school major kudos with the LA and some leverage to go with it.

Instead I have the fun task of getting everything in place ... and then escaping back to my school with any luck.