Certs and Workplace.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys\gals how are you?

I was thinking about this a few days ago and thought I would share it with you.

When I was applying for my job I knew I had to meet certain criteria in order to get the job, I had to offer something that no one else has and well I though that I had that something that one else had at the time of the interview.

On the of my interview the minute I got to the place I was being analyzed and I knew that so I gave my best at that moment. We went upstairs and into the conference room where my interview took place. First they interviewer him self start off by explaining what the company is about and how they do business, what kind of jobs the people do there etc. And after the questions began to arise, they started off by asking me where I went to school and what experience I had, and soon after they began with scenario questions. Come the end of the interview I had 4 people interviewing me Chief Informations Officer, System administrator, IT manager and the VP of operations, pretty scary though to think, but at the time I made my self think that no matter who was there I would just be my self and do my best, and so I did, and thank god I got the job, which is the place where I work now.

Knowing this guys\gals I realized that they didn't really ask me about my certs, I have stated in my CV that I have A+, N+ and MCP and that I am studying for MCSA, but that didn't really catch their attention as they cared more about experience and my knowledge. Even at one point a few weeks after my first day at work my boss didn't even know what certs I had, he had forgotten.

Thats why I think to me and even when people ask me what certs should I get, or which one is better, my answer to everyone is get the certs that suit you best, if you like developing get the certs that go with developing, if you like networking go with certs that are best for networking, BUT do it for your self, do it to have that knowledge and don't expect to get the job just because you have certs. This being said I still am studying for my MCSA but I am doing it for my self, for that knowledge that I want to have so that come 2-3 years from now I can really say that yes I know my stuff and not pretend.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good observations. For the most part, they reflect my experiences as well. A decade or so ago, industry was "ga-ga" over certifications. Anyone with an MCSE was golden...that is until industry realized that a certification did not necessarily equal the ability to do the job.

The term "Paper MCSE" was quickly coined and much faith was lost in the certification industry. Certs do serve a purpose but only if coupled with the actual ability to do the job. Certification tests are being retooled to not give any advantage to someone who happens to be a good test taker but lacks the operational skills to actually manage servers (or whatever).

Now, you not only have to talk the talk but you have to prove you can walk the walk before you will be considered for most jobs in IT.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Amen to that. There is no point IMHO in getting certified on something which you don't use on a daily basis and does not interest you in the least. The cert is meant to go hand in hand with your practical experience. The knowledge gleaned should be something which will build upon your existing understanding. This way the knowledge will be useful to you (forget potential employers) and you won't forget it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

in all honesty this applies to most jobs in most industry sectors

I was a chef on and off for 15 years or so and completed an apprenticeship back in the late 80's. This gave me all the basic information required, methods of cookery etc etc. but when i went to my 1st job I knew sod all about how it was applied in the real world and thus my 'real' learning began.

The amount of dross that filters through nowadays is unreal. There isnt real chefs anymore due to the amount of new restrictions in the catering industry with regards what we can and can't do and so their is a severe skills gap now in that industry (also the money is pants aswell).

now I am working in IT and find i am again learning how everything applies in everyday situations. The most frustrating thing is when you have an issue you know how to fix but have to wait for someone in 2nd/3rd line to get off their arse and sort out lol.

I am doing certs as I feel they will hopefully reinforce my ability to learn and prove to employers I am serious about IT and my willingness to improve. hopefully every role I undertake will give me more and more skills and experiences that make me more emplyable and yes, earn me more money in the long run :)

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Funny that really, my employer wasn't interested in seeing evidence of my MCPs - they seemed to just take my word for it...but on the other hand they do want to see proof of GCSEs etc...makes u laugh really!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Why oh why do employers always insist on seeing evidence of qualifications so far in the past? It is funny as you say :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I must admit, I havn't once been asked to proove any certs or academic qualifications/results
    *shrug* beats me! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Same here, I'm dreading the day someone asks to see my A-Level certificates because I never ended up picking them up from my college and they cost about £30 to replace.

As for the OP, I think certs can play a role in getting a job. A large part of the reason I got my current job was because my boss was impressed that I was spending my own time and money on "bettering myself". I agree though that no one should do a cert just because they think it will earn them more money. If you've got no interest in the subject you'll struggle to work through the cert and you won't enjoy a job in that area either.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think it depends on if you have a track record.
    I worked with a bloke who used to brag saying the only paper he had was the Echo (local paper) but because he knew his stuff and had twenty years of experience it doesn't seem to have caused him any problems whatsoever.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT