Certifications

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by stager246, Mar 1, 2005.

1. stager246

stager246 New Member

I am looking into getting my MCDBA cert. and been looking around on the internet trying to find somewhere to get the training materials like cd-roms, etc. Is there anyplace that is reasonable, and has good reviews?

Did anyone ever use:

www.turbocert.com

but it looks a little fishy b/c everything is like 70% off til march 5th.

Anyhelp would be appericated.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi stager246

Can't say that I've heard of them, but they don't look too bad though.

When you have a minute drop by the new members forum and tell us a bit about yourself, what you're planning, what you're studying atm etc.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Not used them but something similar. Great for topping the knowledge up but I would not use them only for studying with.

IMHO :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. stager246

stager246 New Member

Would you be able to direct me to a good place to study from?

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm afraid I'm not to up to speed on US training provders, Stager - but if it's at all like the UK, then there are probably plenty of Co's there able to provide you with a course curriculum covering several certs (for the appropriate fee, of course !). Alternatively, see if your local colleges/ schools/night-schools offer courses too.

Your other option is to self-study, but I don't know how you'd feel about this - depends entirely on the individuals personality, I'd imagine.

HTH for now :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. stager246

stager246 New Member

I am all for self study... would it be better to get software from a website that would help train or just books or what should i do?

7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi Stager

It really depends on personal preference/ money available. I personally have just gone for the book route (MCSE 2K3), but the set comes with both testing software and a trial version of Win 2K3 server ( also available for download from the M$ site), so i have both the books and the software needed

This seems to be working for me sofar, and at some point I will be looking at getting some additional testing software from one of the many providers.

If your gonna go the self study route, I would look at getting an MCDBA study book/ kit whatever, and see if it come's with any of the software needed. If you can't get hold of a set that provided's the software needed, your gonna have to splash out on the real thing, to play with and break, so that you are trully ready to face the exam.

HTH :D

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. Kristy

Kristy Banned

ADMIN EDIT: Advertisement removed

9. stager246

stager246 New Member

Edit...I do need to find a good self study package... :dry

Should I go for the 2003 server or the 2000?

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd say that if you're getting into the game now, go for the 2003 track.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  11. stager246

stager246 New Member

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well when I was checking out training providers this was one of them as my brother in law recommended them. The problem I ran into is all their courses are bootcamp style, that is around 2-4 weeks intensive 8-5.30 pm, for the whole MCSE package. Try searching in google for training providers etc and take your time to check them out. Don't rush in to anything.

13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, just wondering if you've tried *********** it doesn't provide a whole course, but it may help you with your studies.

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not post links to brainbump sites, if you have not already done so please make yourself aware of Rules and Guidelines. Thank you.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security