Certification Advice

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by rhites, Sep 14, 2010.

1. rhites

rhites New Member

Ok, so everyone knows about the whole Dec 31st deadline. I've already gotten my A+, and about to take the N+. I was wondering if the Security+ was worth taking or if I should focus on some more important specialty certs, like MCSA/MCSE. I guess I'm really wondering if the security+ is a valuable cert to have. Anyone in the field have an opinion on this?

I've asked someone in the field and he told me to skip the security+. Of course that's only one opinion, so that's why I'm asking here. But I feel like I shouldn't pass up an opportunity to be certified for life.

Also, what's the story on Server+? Worth getting, or do the microsoft certifications cover most of server's objectives? Thanks for any info.

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A lot depends on your experience, the security+ is a worthwhile cert if your moving towards or have started gaining experience in security related roles. If your just starting out in IT however your far better off looking to the MCDST and its Vista and 7 equivalents to help improve your employability.

If your just starting out you definitely shouldn't be looking at the MCSA/MCSE until you've gained some relevant IT experience.

The Server+ isn't going to be subject to recertification at this point I believe so its still worth looking at in the future.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Having high level certs without experience is not a good idea.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

^ What they said. I'd recommend pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST (or MCTS equivalent) certifications, in that order.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from what's been said already, the Server+ cert is slightly different from the MCSA/E as it deals with server hardware.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. rhites

rhites New Member

Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone. I do have about 4 years field experience, but only with doing desktop support. Very minimal networking, some server stuff, etc.

And yes Employability is the Number 1 reason for starting this whole process. I have enough experience that the A+ was straight forward, and the N+ too mostly. However, I agree that experience holds more weight than just getting certificates regardless of whether or not I can pass the exams.

Thanks guys for clearing up about the security+.

As far as relevant IT experience, it seems like a catch 22. I'm currently doing mostly desktop support, light networking, light server stuff. I'm the only IT person onsite. So it's not like I can learn from an IT superior. I was thinking my ideal move (after getting certified) was to be the network administrator (or anything higher up than I am now) for another company. But from what everyone's saying, it seems like my next logical move would be to hire on at the bottom of the totem pole of a company and learn from my boss before getting too deep into getting certifications without the experience.

It seems as though my perception of getting certified was skewed by how non-specific these Comptia certs are. I just assumed that if I read enough and learned the right things, I'd be able to hop into a network environment and be able to do what was asked of me. It seems as though that's not really the case. Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll look into what everyone has suggested and compare the requirements to where I think my skill level is at and proceed from there.