certificates or degree?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tas121, Feb 18, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You missed a little point!
    not saying the problem doesnt exist in the uk - i had a case of one guy in my group doing it.. and i refused to hand his work in.. in the end he failed..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks Zimbo:thumbleft

It's interesting to read about your course and how much degree's are now. I remember when I was at Uni and had to take a job around my course to afford books and clothes and a social life

Have you experienced the same?

Q) how close does the course your doing keep upto date with the IT industry?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

It all depends on what social life you want my friend.. there are those out every nite in central london spending a 50 and there those that will head to the pub to watch a footie match maybe or go some where a little cheaper.

so far my course has been ok.. java is java as they say... and the networks course i did i found was on par with the current Network+. I admit the content further on *could* be a little out dated its still stuff i want to learn.

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Granted, if you want good marks then you have to work hard for it! But in your degree there should be still time to relax and unwind, not that I mean go out everynight but have a balance.

That's the hardest part about Uni having a balance life:biggrin

Still then again, one of my House mate was doing a degree in International Business studies. He only studied 6 hours a week and failed twice. He spent most of his time getting drunk and dropped out of Uni with £18K in debt.

Is this your final year?

Is this degree reconised by BCS?8)

How do IT employers rate BCS?

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I worked part time when I was at university as well, 20 hours a week but took time off when it was near exam time.

Qualifications don’t guarantee a job but they do help. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Nearly all IT degrees are now recognized by BCS.. to me i dont see how it helps.. no im only first year.

7. Sparky

Register when you can mate, I’m now MBCS but was originally a graduate member. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. philswindin

philswindin Bit Poster

Can only speak for UK, Microsoft world.

I have been on the job market for last month. I have very good experience; I have the current certifications but I have only got a HND not degree and have found it difficult at times.

It's annoying as for the past 13 years I have used nothing I learnt in Uni in the real world but this does not make a difference and have heard the same from Degree qualified people. The only thing I see a degree getting you is a place on the shortlist.

I have found i f you are going for the top jobs (50k GBP +) you need both.

Good luck

9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There is always the option of studying your IT degree part-time, it costs approx £500-£600 a year (+ cost of books). The down side is that it take 4 years to get your BSc/BA or 5 years for the (Hons).

As for the BCS, I'm a AMBCS, didn't fancy paying the £80 per year just yet :)

I believe what the BCS is doing (getting IT properly professionalise - getting Chartered status, etc to be line line with other professions - eg teachers, lawers, doctors, nurses, etc) is good.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The world has changed a lot.

I did my first OU course in about 2000. I remember then that it was hard going.

Maybe I've changed, or maybe the interweb has. But now, you just type in MXXX TMA1, and you are flooded with articles from people who have done it, what they thought and what their answers were.

Before, it was safe to assume that only exceptional people could use the internet to 'cheat'.

Unfortunately, nowadays it is easier to use the internet to cheat (at anything) than it is to do it the proper way.

The task now is for teachers to satisfy themselves that students HAVEN'T cheated (not to check to see if they HAVE), and it is becoming increasingly difficult to do so...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

So what do people think of Degree's now?

Are they just another piece of paper or something more?

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What do you think of MCSE/CCNA - just another piece of paper? Thats the problem in todays world - cheats and winning and the honest folk are loosing out. Life isnt fair mate.

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I know Mate when I left University with a Degree in Chemistry and went to work for the Ministry of Defence. There was a guy there who was on the same course i was but failed his degree and yet he was on a higher pay scale than me.

It really hacked me off, how on earth he got the job and why he was paid more. I even had to show him what to do in his job.:rolleyes: Still at least I did stop him blowing his face off.

How did he get there? His Uncle was highup in the rank. It's not what you know it's who you know.

In IT I used to share an office with a guy that bragged about Braindumps, until the company caught him downloading illegal software at work.

He could of knuckle down like the rest of us, but he decided to cheat the system. It took them a year to catch him, but now he's paid for it!:dry

14. Sparky

There isn’t a process set in stone that you follow when building a career. Generally if you work hard and get along with the people you work with then hopefully things will go your way.

That doesn’t mean when a big promotion comes up it wont stop your boss employing his mate because they go ‘way back’ though.

As for cheats\use of BDs unfortunately that’s just part of life. I still think it isn’t as much of a problem at University (because resources are thrown at solving the problem) in comparison to certs where websites openly sell BDs and very little is done about it.

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Sparky- What subject did you do your Degree in?

How long ago was it?

16. Sparky

MSc Information Technology and Software development, graduated back in 2002.

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Have you got a bachelors degree as well as a Masters?

So did you find this degree open more doors to jobs than Microsoft Certs?

18. Sparky

Yes, got a bachelors degree as well.

The MD at my current job took me on as I was 'degree educated', his words not mine, and he said there was great potential for me if I put the work in.

Now Im the IT manager, yay! :biggrin

Certs help bigtime as well as it makes the company look more professional to potential new clients and you use some of the skills you have picked up every day. Not all of them though! :biggrin

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You will see more and more people will look into Master's as well. And to be honest Undergrad fees are now 3k and Grad fees are 3k-4k (ok Oxbridge hits 15k) but fee wise its like another year of undergrad now.

Plus you get to specialize in another area thus have a wider area and market to look for a job in. Im personally considering a Masters.

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi tas121 -

There was a poll on the subject some time back now, which you can read HERE (clickable link)

There was a lot of good advice and many opinions that poll, but be warned, it got more than a little heated latterly.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity