Certificate Revocation

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by SimonV, Mar 3, 2004.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What in simple terms is "Certificate Revocation"

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Quick one to start with Si - look here, or this looks good too.

Just some quick Googling - will try and find out more for you ....

:D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

It's exactly what it sounds like Si, it is the withdrawal of a previously issued and validated certificate. All offered certificates are checked against the revocation list and any that have been revoked are considered invalid.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Can anyone tell me more about this.

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The CRL is exactly what its name implies: a list of subscribers paired with digital certificate status. The list enumerates revoked certificates along with the reason(s) for revocation. The dates of certificate issue, and the entities that issued them, are also included. In addition, each list contains a proposed date for the next release. When a potential user attempts to access a server, the server allows or denies access based on the CRL entry for that particular user.

Clear as mud eh m8

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

So who governs/administers the list or lists, is there some commitee that takes care of this?

7. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

No one body governs the certificates per se the entire certificate system works on a trust basis. If I trust Certforums the I would trust certificates issued by their CA or by other CA's that were "children" of Certforums.

Think of it like this, if you met some guy in a bar and asked who he was, if he showed you a bus pass would you take the bus pass as proof of identity? Now image if he showed you a passport, would you believe he was who he said he was then? It all comes down to your trust in the issuing authority.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I understand the process, its more the mechanisms behind the process I'm unsure of.

If nobody governs the the process of certificate creation then whats stopping unlawful creation of them?

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

As Luton put so well Si, it's all a question of Trust. You can set up internal Certificate servers which you would govern, but if you are using certificates to communicate with another company you would want a certificate issuer who you both trust such as one of the Commercial CA's like Thawte or Verisign. The commercial CA would then govern the certificates. If you were only using the certificates for internal communications then you would just set up your own certificate infrastructure because hopefully you trust yourself :) Is that what you're driving at ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

It is yes, thanks all. I wanted to get a more in-dept understanding of a subject that I haven't studied and you guys came up with the good.

Thanks.