certforums skypecast tonight

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Aug 14, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

HI all,

Just thought I'd run a little experiment with skypecasting, its either going to work or fall flat on its face. I've set up a skypecast to start at 8pm GMT for users of certforums and techexams.net to get together and have a chin wag. I shall be there from the off so if you fancy popping in feel free, Its only on for an hour but it will give me a good idea whether my plan is a goer or not.

URL for skypecast is https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=5265839

techexams.net post is http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37328

hopefully this wont fall apart and make me look like a :dunce

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

well that didnt work too well then, I think there were some geniune people joining in but it soon got hijacked,

heres a linky to a hidden skypecast that starts at 930 tonight so hopefully we wont get the same problem

https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypec...tml?id_talk=5267093&hash=dc67995b821deeac0410

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Can you explain what a skypecast is? I know it's to do with skype, just need some extra background about how you can listen to it etc..

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

me to, bit more information please would lke to have a go.

WIP: C++ and A+
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes sorry it was a bit short motice but when i get an idea I want to do it there and then. a skype cast is basically a large voice chat room, so I suppose its really a big conference call where a bit of control can be adminstered as to who can talk if its getting a bit crowded.

The first attempt the cast was publically available but that was soon hijacked by less than reputable people shall we say so if it were to work out then a hidden skypecast with the url only published here would be the way forward I think.

I was just keen to see if it would work and what could be gained by all of us if we got together for a chat. I know obviously its what this place is for but I thought another avenue way well give us something worthwhile.

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Of course, the problem here is that some people may not have skype. And/or can get skype but arent able to talk.

Another alternative is to see if the staff here can be convinced to reopen the chat room on a regular basis again.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think generally it's a good idea but there is a Skype alternative.

They now offer a sort of "Yellow Pages" for people needing help/advice. Perhaps those with the necessary knowledge could use this to be available at certain times (if they wish) to answer questions.

If a group was got together who all shared the same Skype account (login) then something could perhaps be done so that help was offered at a set time (maybe 8-9 pm) say -

Monday - MCDST
    Tues - MCSE
    Weds - CCNA

etc etc

Just a thought

Sjype details here :

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2008/06/skype_advice_services_director.html

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

That would be useful!

Certifications: A+, N+
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I second that - great idea - staff - ooooooh staaaaaafffffffffffff - can we do this? Say with a schedule like the one suggested by Darkstar?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA