CERN Collider ready for power-up

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Anyone else interested in/been following this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

I find it amusing that people have been predicting the 'end of the world' in a black hole (that would be pico-metres (or some kind of tiny measurement) wide and would decay within nano-seconds :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

So thats Goodbye World...............hold on.....No???

Bugga - I suppose I gotta go work then :(

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you have a little more time mate, the first collisions won't occur for a few weeks

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

But Arro... this is the first time it's been done, so no one knows precisely what is going to happen. Even some scientists are trying to get the thing stopped.

If they do manage to create a very very small black hole, and it doesn't disappear, what happens then?

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Then the cynical speculators will have maybe a couple of seconds to think "aha, I was right" but they'll potentially only get as far as "ah..."

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

ROFLMAO... :D

7. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Had this discussion with my son earlier and the only bit of solace I can find if things do go wrong is that France will get it before we do :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My favourite comment from around the 'net is:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I work at The Institute of Physics. They find all the hysteria quite chucklesome here. Other than a few crazy groups trying to get it shut down it really only appears to be the tabloids that are pushing this doomsday scenario. It even appears they are doing it for entertainment. I recommend people that have concerns get their info on particle physics from a more reliable source then The Sun.

Oh and as a consolation prize if we're wrong and we do get sucked into a black hole I'll give you all a tenner:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, the sun came out here for the first time in about two months, so maybe it will actually have a positive effect.

I hope it does something really embarrassing like create a nebula in the shape of the Queen's bottom and makes a high-pitched farting noise, so they have to print it in all the newspapers and the repsectable scientists get really bashful about the whole thing.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Well I think that there will be a tiny little hole, and they'll carry out the same experiment in every country, then charge £2,699 to insta travel through the black hole, I can see the marketing now "Sick of delays at the airport? falling asleep in your car? well NO MORE!! Blackole™ Will get you anywhere in the world in nano seconds for only £2,699 :lol:

On a more serious note I think it's a step forward and I hope the experiment goes well and the boffins discover something amazing

WIP: MCDST
  13. TimoftheC

Gonna hold ya to that :scatter

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Can anybody say "Y2K"?

As I recall, there was quite a bit of hysteria in the months before the year 2000 hit the calendars. Computer systems were going to crash in a big way. It was the end of computing life as we knew it. Better stock up on flashlights and extra water.

What happened? Nothing.

OK, I have no real idea of what'll happen when they *really* start using the thing, but I suspect not dang much...at least relative to the end of the world. I heard that even if the thing managed to produce a quantum black hole and even if it didn't go "pfffft" after a few seconds, it would take many, many lifetimes of the universe before it consumed any significant portion of the Earth (actually, Larry Niven wrote a science-fiction short story some decades ago about this happening on Mars).

Anyway, if the Earth explodes, we won't be around to fret about it. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Bugger, so I put on my tin foil hat for no reason, now don't I look stupid :twisted:

And no comments from the audience :p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. TimoftheC

:shtum

17. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hmmmmm have to resist the urge to say something............Ghhhhh Ahhhhh Arghhhhhh mmmmmmm

Its no good!!

You mean no more stupid than normal??? And a tin foil hat with THAT SHIRT???? what are you thinking man??

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  18. Crito

Crito Banned

It must be stopped! What if terrorists get hold of this black hole technology? Or some malicious hackers in Latvia? Experiments like this are just too risky in the post-freedom, er, post-9/11 world.

Now where did I put my anti-Al-Qaeda tin foil deflector yamucka... :p

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You can still get tin foil? I thought it was all aluminium now.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

:p:p:p:p:p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009