CEH or LPT?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by rajith1988, Jan 10, 2015.

1. rajith1988

rajith1988 New Member

Hi all,

I just finished my master's degree in computer security and searching for a job but unfortunately till now I haven't found one, it been already 4 months completing my master's degree. So now I thought of doing some certification course. Right now I am confused whether to do CEH certification or Licensed Penetration testing(LPT). I want some guidance in this matter and one more thing to do either one of certification which training institute is best? It would be great help if someone points to a right direction.

Plz help me out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I did the CEH course with QA last year which i enjoyed. I'm currently working my way through the CISSP material. I suppose it depends on what you ultimately want to do job wise.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

The CEH is more around the practical side of things, the actual testing, the LPT is more around the report writing and 'business' side to things.

Just take a look on the EC Council website to see what each of the certifications are about and see which suits best. Having a quick look now it looks like they say that the LPT is something you would do after your CEH.

http://www.eccouncil.org/about-licensed-penetration-tester

At a higher level what is it you want to do, become a penetration tester or something else in security? If it's pen testing you want to do then your aim should be to attain the relevant Crest/Tigerscheme certifications that map over to the government CESG CHECK accreditation (or whatever they are called nowadays).

The CEH is a good grounding and known for giving you the basics, but it's not massively well regarded in the pen testing community compared to the others I've mentioned. So if pen testing is your aim you should be looking ahead to those certifications.

As Beerbaron says ultimately have a think about what it is you want to do and that will help you with what it is you need to be doing to get there

With regards to training providers, I generally have used either QA for non residential or Firebrand for residential courses.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Firebrand have always been great when I went to them (admittedly for Microsoft courses rather than security related training).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. jerry.paul1

jerry.paul1 New Member

Hi,

You should go for these certifications for better career in IT field.

MCSE+EXCHANGE 2013
    UAG
    CCIE SECURITY
    OR
    RUUTING AND SWITCHING

Certifications: CCIE (R&S
  6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Whilst the knowledge could prove useful that's all not exactly relevant to what the op is asking or the field they are looking at though?