CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by spongbob, Nov 13, 2007.

1. spongbob

spongbob New Member

It might be a stupid question and I have searched on here but can't find the solution.:rolleyes: I have also tried fiddlinlg with my laptop but how do you fix this,

My CD/DVD drive , E is there when I use my XP operating system and can play cd's and DVD's fine but when I use my Vista O.S. I can't see my E drive and dvd's and cd's don't work either when I insert them.

Doesn anyone know what I can do please,:oops:

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi

Could be that the drivers for CD/DVD are not recognised by vista.

If you go to the CD drive manufacturers web site there may be drivers on there for Vista.

If you download them and install them when you are logged into vista then hopefully it will work.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

check device manager, see if they are installed ok. if theres a problem running them with the drivers installed in vista, it will tend to disable the drive to prevent problems. in any case, a driver upgrade may well help the problem

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A dual-booting laptop is fairly uncommon - so I *assume* that you made this dual boot?

What was it originaly? XP? Did you install the chipset drivers when you put Vista on? Have you installed other apps under Vista such as burning software?

There is a registry 'hack' that appears to fix this problem, where you remove the UpperFilter and LowerFilter drivers, then reboot.

Note that the drive might not appear as E: - but you should be able to change it to use that letter (as long as nothing else uses it!)

You will also need to install something like PowerDVD or WinDVD in order to play DVDs - out of the box neither XP nor Vista has an MPEG2 decoder installed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+