CCNP via the OU

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by derkit, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I don't think I'm really qualified to comment, from what I've read the institution can be fairly important, so can things like placement programs / internships. Some of the famous institutions often charge £30k+ and I'm not even sure if you'd get in without a first degree even paying that sort of dough.

I think it would be interesting to hear the perspective from people that already have a masters ? Maybe Sparky ?

2. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

I am suprised CCNP is being offered at masters level I am currently doing Bsc (Hons) in Networking and systems support, and CCNA and CCNP are tied in with it only down side is you have to pay for the actual quals yourself as they only do the academic side of it through Cisco net academy.
    Fees approx £1850 but thats full time not distance learning.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes I see your point gurusapprentice, some Universities get awfully snooty about what is deemed as 'Masters level' especially when allocating credits for previous work or study.

While I can see the rationale with the high end institutions, often the same line is taken by lower institutions.

As already mentioned there is a massive spread between the lowest and highest level Masters material. The low end does indeed overlap many BSc degrees.

At the other end the research Masters sometimes get converted into Phd's if your work is impressive enough, you just have to hang around at college bit longer.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

To be honest and whilst its still early days I don't really think I would advise anybody to go th "Uni" route for Cisco unless they are going straight from school my reasons are. 1st Term Network fundamentals part1 only done 1/2 of it Term 2 network fundamentals part2 only going to do part of it 2nd yr thrown straight into advanced WAN and advanced routing and switching massive gap there me thinks lol.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e